chapter nineteen.

"Why didn't you guys answer your phones?" Michele asked as soon as we ran inside.

   "Mines charging." I replied, and Austin pulled his out of his pocket.

   "Logan... he followed you, and now..." she broke down crying.

   "What? No." Austin swallowed.

   "No, there's no way." I said, sitting on the couch.

   "He... he's gone." Austin said, sitting next to me and wrapping his arm around his mom.

   "Let's go look." I said, picking up Austin's keys.

   "They're all out looking."

   "We'll find him, mom. I promise." he said before following me out the door.

   We got in his car and pulled out of the driveway. "I feel horrible."

   "Don't babe, we didn't know he followed." Austin replied.

   I swallowed. "Still. I feel like if I would've dealt with it differently..."

   "Like how, by cutting? No."

   I looked at him. "No. But still. I really feel like shit."

   "Don't. He followed me. You went first, remember? I followed you, he followed me."

   "Austin, what if we don't find him?" I swallowed.

   He closed his eyes. "We're going to. Okay? Because we aren't going back until we do."

   His jaw was clenched and he gripped the wheel hard. I wanted to do something but I didn't know how. I looked out the window.

   "Maybe he went to the park? Or to the ice cream shack?" I suggested.

   "We're going to the shack now." Austin replied.

   When we pulled into the ice cream shack a few minute later, we headed straight to the counter.

   "Hiya Austin, what can I get ya?" the man at the counter said.

   "Nothing today Matt. I need to know if you've seen Logan. He's... missing."

   "Well I was hoping you'd stop by because he came here asking for Baeley and Oreo and I gave him a cone. I didn't have anyone's number or I would've called." Matt said, pointing to a table.

   We turned around and Logan was eating an ice cream cone and sitting with a woman.

   "Thank God." Austin said, rushing over to them.

   "Austin!" Logan shouted when Austin picked him up.

   "Hi buddy. Logan, you can't just follow us when we go. Nobody knew you were gone. Everyone is crying and wondering where you are because you're too little to be wandering around. Okay?"

   Logan nodded and Austin held him tight again.

   "I accidentally got some ice cream on your shirt Austin I'm sorry."

   He laughed. "It's okay buddy, you can get as much ice cream on my shirt as you want. Let's go home."

   He waved a thank you to Matt and Kelly, and buckled Logan into the backseat.

   I dialed the house phone. "We got him. He was at the ice cream shack. We'll be there soon."

   "What I want to know is, why did nobody look here? They know his favorite places to go."

   "They might have," I replied. "Judging by how much ice cream he had left, he wasn't there for more than maybe fifteen minutes."

   "True."

   Logan tapped my shoulder. "I just wanted to walk Oreo with you."

   I turned around and smiled. "I know you did, Logan. But I was in a really bad mood and I didn't know you were there. Austin didn't either. You really scared us."

   "I'm sorry Baeley." he apologized.

   "It's okay. Just don't do it again, okay?"

   He nodded and I turned back around. Austin looked at me and I kissed his cheek. We parked in the driveway and Austin turned to Logan.

   "When we go inside Logan, mommy is going to be really upset so don't cry it's okay."

   "Okay."

   We walked up the stairs and the door was opened.