chapter twenty four.

• • •

   "Well I'm glad it wasn't a baby." Robert said the next day.

   "Yeah, me too." I grinned, knowing it could have been horrible.

   "I'm gonna go for a jog, I'll have my phone, text me if you need me." I said a few minutes later, lacing up my jogging shoes.

   I kissed Austin goodbye and shut the door.

   I don't remember anything else...

• • • (Austin's POV)

   My phone was ringing, and I answered it at the last second.

   "Hello?"

   "Hi, I'm Katrina, the desk clerk at BelleView Hospital. I'm calling about Baeley, she's been admitted."

   I sat up immediately. "Is she ok what's wrong?" I threw a pillow at Alex and put it on speakerphone so I could get dressed.

   "She's currently in a coma, she was admitted by a woman named Martha, who found her laying in the street. She was jogging, possibly, and she was struck by a drunk driver. If you could come to the hosptial, please."

   "Oh my God I'll be right there." I hung up and shook Alex awake.

   "Dude! Wake the fuck up Baeley's in a coma, she was hit by a car, I'm going to BelleView meet me there." I rushed into shoes and grabbed my phone.

   I raced to my car. As soon as I was on the street I sped to the hospital.

   I didn't even lock the doors as I raced inside to the desk.

   "I need help. I got a call saying that my girlfriend was hit by a car and is in a coma." I couldn't breathe.

   "Ok, what's her name?"

   "Baeley, her name's Baeley please I need to see her." I felt my heart beat faster and my throat close.

   "Follow me, sir."

   I ran after Katrina, and I almost fell to the floor when I saw Baeley. She was laying with her leg in a cast raised, and her face was bruised and cuts were bandaged.

   "She's breathing on her own. She suffered a broken leg, three broken ribs, a fractured skull, and her face got torn up."

   "Baby.." I wanted to touch her hand.

   "Doctor Valinskhy says she may be able to hear you, but she is in a coma. I'll be back soon, stay with her." she touched my arm and I sat in the chair next to her bed.

   "Hey, love. I-" I had to swallow. "I don't know if you can hear me but if you can, I love you. We'll get through this. You're going to be ok."

   I wiped a tear away and held her hand. I rubbed my thumb against it and started talking. "Babe, remember when you and I went jet skiing and you were behind me when I hit the wave and you fell off? Oh, and that time I took you to see that really sappy love movie.. A Walk to Remember? And when you met Logan?"

   Alex, Robert, and Zach came in but I kept talking. "Baeley.. oh God, remember when we got Alex good with silly string? And the first time we met? When you wake up I'm gonna take you to Disneyland and we're gonna spend as long as you want there, ok? I know I've promised that for a long time."

   I looked up at Alex. "What if she doesn't wake up?"

   He knew I was going to cry and he stood me up. "She's going to wake up, Austin. I promise."

   "What if she doesn't remember me?" I asked, wrapping my arms around him.

   "She will." Zach said, hugging me too.

   "Austin we're here for you." Robert sounded choked up.

   Doctor Valinskhy came in and we all moved apart. "Hi, are you related to Baeley?"

   "I'm her boyfriend." I said.

   "Ok, Austin, sorry I recognize you from the Flavorsplash commercial but your girl's got herself in a little trouble here."

   "Is she going to wake up?"

   "I believe so. It may be awhile, but she's going to be ok. Her skull isn't too fractured, but she may lose memory."

   "Short term?"

   "Hard to say. We'll see when she wakes up. Good thing is though, she's breathing on her own."

   "Why didn't you clean the blood off her face?" I looked at her.

   "We didn't want to reopen any cuts, in a few days when they're healed enough we'll do so. I know it's bad seeing her like that."

   I nodded. "She's still my beautiful princess though."

   He left and I sat back down.

   "What're you going to do about shows? You can't just cancel them." Alex asked.

   "I can't leave her, Alex. What if I'm away when she wakes up?" I shook my head.

   "I understand. But just call Mike and Clint and tell them what's going on."

   I left the room to do so and when I came back, I couldn't help but smile a little.