24. Birth of Four

"Stop moving!" Dexter is yelling at Renee as I have gotten a call from Ernest. They called me saying she fell, fracturing her spine. And if this was a human, she'd be frozen and unable to move.

I see her, on the couch as her back is arched awkwardly. Her stomach is exposed and there are different colored veins pulsing on her stomach. Her eyes are black as she is crying gold tears, shaking like a cold dog.

"Get them...get them out of me!" She cries, grabbing Ernest's wrist as she yanks him towards her face." If you want me and your fucking kids to live get them the fuck out of ME!" She shouts even louder than before and Ernest shakes his head, looking horrified.

"Dexter!" I rush to him, and he turns towards me as he shakes my shoulders wildly.

"I don't know what to do! Her damn spine is fractured and the only way for it to heal is if the pups are removed from her body."

"Then do that!"

"We can't! They aren't due till next week! And if we take them out now there's no telling what might go wrong. And I don't want he pups to be effected, but I don't want her to die either!"

I glance over at her as she snaps at Ernest again. He is trying to calm her but it's only making her even more mad.

"Isn't there a doctor?"

"The only one available is dead! And his son is barely trained enough to take care of our Renee. He is supposedly 'highly certified' but that won't do! We need the best!" He turns away as he punches the wall, making the room shake.

"How the hell did she fall anyway!? You both should've been watching her." Once I say this Dexter is in my face, and it only reminds me how much I hate his guts. He grabs my shirt collar, glaring at me as his eyes flash a dark red. And I can feel his claws scratch the thin layer of skin on my neck.

"Are you trying to say this is our fault? We were watching her! But for one second we turn away and when we look she's falling down the stairs. No one else was in here! And if someone was, I'd fucking know, and I'd fucking kill them! Ernest and I both will!"

I slap his hands off my shirt, sneering as I walk to the stairs she fell down.

"Did you smell the area?"

"I did." I look, seeing Ernest rush over as Dexter and him switch places. Thank goodness, Dexter was getting on my last nerve." But the smell was foreign. And I couldn't tell who it was. It was new and I can't possibly tell where they could've disappeared."

I look around, seeing the balcony doors open. When I head out I see that they have a stairwell into the bottom floor. Of course whoever did it knew and planned this. And it's funny, this all happens when I meet-.

"Lorenzo..." I hiss, and Ernest raises his eyebrows as he walks over.

"Who's Lorenzo?"

"My long lost secret brother. Appears out of nowhere and then this happens. I'm not blaming him...but I'm blaming him partially." I head back inside, and when I look I see Renee being picked up.

Dexter runs to us as he holds her, passing her to Ernest.

"You." He points to me and narrows his eyes." You and I are going to get the guys son. Ernest, take her to the basement."

Ernest nods and rushes out the room, and now it's just Dexter and I. He sighs, grabbing a bag full of something.

"It's two boys and two girls. These are their clothes. I have no choice. She has to give birth to them, or she'll die. I am not having that. We're not having that. And you need to come with me because I think you'll be a good helper. Since you're so good at spying and jacking up people's lives, I hope you have a knife on ya."