Mates

I felt my heart drop.

He took a step and my body brushed closed to his, when he did so, I felt a million rushes fly through the flesh that he had made contact with. Rushes that lingered for a few moments. He was truly my mate whether I had liked it or not- and to werewolves, mates were the most important thing in the world, you knew exactly who your mate was on the first encounter.

Having a mate meant that you were given a bond that was shared with another werewolf, each of you share a deep connection that you could experience with absolutely no one else.

Fate had destined you to be with someone, someone who you would someday stumble upon and either decline or accept.

Mine had obviously accepted me.

But of course, this was an old custom that the older generation believed in. They took the culture and orders to stick with their mate and find love for no one else, but during this time and age- my generation wasn't too fond of this whole "mate idea," it was too far fetched and old fashioned- who knew if we'd ever even be able to happen upon our mates anyways? What if our mate died without our knowledge and we spent our whole lives waiting for them? There were too many gaps no one was willing to risk anymore and I didn't necessarily need to comply to it even if Alpha Dale did.

Dale turned back around to Bruce, "did you do this to her...?" Dale had asked in a quiet voice with his eyes facing the floor.

Bruce stumbled backwards replying with "n-no Alpha Dale, she, she was already like that when I found her. That's why I told you I'd just finish the- the job."

I glared up towards him in anger, he was such a liar!

"I'm going to ask you again Bruce. Did. You. Hurt. Her?" Dale suddenly changed his attitude and growled through tightly clenched teeth, scaring me with the nasty look on his face and the hatred that stained his eyes.

"No Alpha Dale, I didn't!" Bruce wailed.

"Don't lie to me!" the Alpha had yelled, he then ran towards Bruce and picked him up by the throat, slowly squeezing the air out of him.

I watched as Bruce struggled for a moment, clawing at Dale's hands exactly as I had done to his own, trying to escape them.

When suddenly, Dale had asked one last time- "did you hurt her?"

"Yes, I'm so sorry, but it wasn't on purpose, I didn't know she was your mate! I'm sorry Alpha, please forgive me. Have mercy! I was following protocols," Bruce wailed.

I watched as Dale's grip slowly unpeeled from Bruce's neck and that was the last thing I remembered before I blacked out under the soft moonlight.

What seemed like several hours later, I had woken up with a throbbing pain running throughout my entire body, my hair was a tangled mess, and my lips were craving for the taste of cool water.

The aroma that had surrounded me smelled of a glorious cologne and a musky forest smell that lingered within my nostrils.

I quickly arose and observed my surroundings with the light that seeped through from a door that was slightly opened.

I was in a large dimly lit room with furniture that I knew was expensive. My body was resting in a large cushioned king sized bed, there was a wide nightstand to my right with a lamp and an empty picture frame that rested on it. Lastly, there was a tall shelf filled of peculiar items towards the farthest corner of the room. It consisted of claws propped on stands, large books, and a small brown chest closed with a lock.

I tried to view everything else, but it was too dark on the other half of the room to make anything else out.

My head suddenly jolted back towards the door as I saw it open from across the room.

Dale had walked in, followed by a stream of light in which allowed me to see more of the room, which was even larger in size than I had guessed. He was dressed in a light grey muscle shirt and black sweatpants, holding a water bottle.

"Hey! You're awake, and how are your wounds?" Dale had asked me in a cheerful voice, handing me the water.

I looked down at the bandages that had been carefully wrapped around my injuries and answered "good... I guess," as I grabbed the bottle he extended to me with my good arm.

He had moved back across the room as if he was trying to give me space, "that's good, so uh. You like my room?" he asked, as if trying to make a lame attempt to make small talk.

This was his room!? I was completely jealous.

"Yea, yea. I do,-- actually." I mumbled. "Is Bruce doing okay?" I had asked, suddenly remembering last night.

"He's fine." Dale said.

"What'd you do to him?" I questioned.

"Nothing that concerns you." Dale said, as he awkwardly stared at me, "but why do you care anyways? Haha, I mean after all- he almost killed you..." he whispered while he shook his hand through his brown hair and a shy smile.

That was actually a good point, why did I care? I remained silent, then finally replied with "I don't know, it just looked like you were out to really hurt him."

"Well, yea," he said while walking over and sitting next to me on the bed, "I guess the sight of you in pain just triggered my anger. But I'd never do something as cruel as hurting my own pack. I am their leader and I have sworn to protect them." Then, I noticed that he began to lean his body in towards me, getting closer and closer with every word he said, until I felt his breath right on my nose.

What was this guy doing? "Hey! Hey away from me!" I had shouted without thinking and swatting him away with my working arm, "you're too close!"

"Sorry, I just wanted a better look at my mate." Dale said while winking and rubbing the back of his head again, trying to show off his guns this time.

"You're so weird." I groaned. He knew he was a hunk, but I didn't think he'd go this far.

"Would you mind if I poked the top of your nose?" Dale had suddenly asked me in delight, widening his eyes.

"What's your problem? You're so awkward." I bickered with a slight smile, suddenly catching it and trying to keep a straight face again.

He looked down at his feet like a child, "sorry, I just... I like your nose." he stated. "There's not many noses out there that are cute and little like yours, it just caught my attention I guess. I tend to notice that feature first before anything else when looking at a face, haha..." he spoke, trying to talk himself out of his weird request.

I tried to hold back a giggle, he was just so bubbly and innocent, there was no way this was the same "big bad guy" that my brother had always spoken of and warned me about. I couldn't stop laughing, I responded to him with a "no," and continued to laugh.