Legendary

I heard low voices in the room down the hall from the large one I was occupying.

But being in my wolf form, I could heard every single word that was being uttered.

Dale's voice spoke first- "but, how is this possible?"

Another males voice replied "I don't know sir, maybe this explains why she took so long to shift."

Then a calm Dale replied, "that makes sense, golden wolves are legendary and shifting into one takes a lot of time and patience since they happen to be the strongest and the rarest of our kind."

The man spoke quieter- "yes, but how is she a golden wolf?

Dale barked back "don't speak that way about my mate, or I'll have your head!"

The other voice then replied "I'm sorry Alpha Dale, my apologies, but our last golden wolf was alive more than over a centennial ago, it's just unbelievable to think that a 17 year old girl could be the new legendary golden wolf."

I heard Dale clear his throat and mutter "I know... and especially my girl."

The conversation had ended and I heard Dale's footsteps approaching the room I was inside.

"Claire?" he called in the doorway.

I raised my head towards him, not knowing when my transformation would be officially over.

"I just spoke to my beta, and we've concluded that you're a... Legendary Golden Wolf." he stammered.

I wasn't surprised since I had already heard their entire conversation, so I nodded my head in understanding anyways.

"Get up. Come with me." he commanded, opening the door widely for me to exit.

I followed him and he led me back to the balcony.

My heart sank, was he really going to put me through this... Again?

"Pack!" his voice called out, giving me flashbacks.

The process was repeated. His entire pack turned their heads up towards him and gave him their full attention.

"This here, is a Legendary Golden Wolf-" a pause full of gasps and shocked whispers, "this is Claire-" even more gasps, "I would like for you all to apologize to her for ridiculing her- because of her late shifting. No one, is to disrespect her, she is legendary and will be treated as such."

There were shouts of "forgive me," "I apologize o' great and holy one," "we're sorry," and so on.

Although my heart was dark and contained hatred towards this pack and towards their Alpha, I respectfully bowed my head, showing signs of forgiveness.

The next morning, I had awoken to Dale stroking my face and cradling my head in his lap.

"Agh-!" I yelled angrily, jumping off of him. "You're so disgusting, I don't know why you need to always touch me!"

Dale's eyes shifted into a dark swirling color. I could feel heat rise off of his body and surround me in the room.

"You were having a bad dream. I was just comforting you." he scolded.

I felt guilty, he wasn't lying to me, I really did have a bad dream. I wanted to apologize for being so quick to yell at him for simply comforting me, but I already felt awkward about it. My dream that I awoke from filled me with fear and anger. It was the same repeated images of Cameron's body laying twisted and bloody.

I had nightmares about it for years, my father would always dismiss them and tell me that I "had to get over it," especially if it was a form of weakness. He told me the only way I'd recover is to forget about it carry on with my life. But overcoming the loss of a loved one isn't as easy as he makes it seem. That was his own son for heaven's sake and he brushed it off like nothing! 

I swung my legs over the bed and trotted into the bathroom- "I'm gonna freshen up." I whispered.

"I'll join you," Dale replied.

We stood together in front of the sink and brushed our teeth in silence, when suddenly, I felt something cold brush against my face and hit my teeth.

"Hey!" I screamed, "keep your toothbrush in your own mouth!"

He shrugged his shoulders and chuckled, apparently thinking it was hilarious. "Looked like you weren't brushing your own teeth well enough."

Disgusted, I rinsed out my mouth and shoved him afterwards, "ugh! You're so disgusting, how could anyone ever like you?" I cried.

"I don't know, why don't you ask my mate." he retorted back in a jokingly manner.

"But I don't like you, I don't think I'll ever be able too. I mean, just because we're destined to be together doesn't mean that I need to have feelings for you, you're just not someone I can see myself with." I said, staring up at him.

His hurt eyes stared back- "oh... I see," then he turned around and left.