The Exchanging Ceremony

There was a moment of silence between the two of us.

I stood there in the doorway, feeling steam and smoke rise off of my body. I had learned to do this from watching Dale because he had very so often gotten furious at me.

My father looked dazed, I could see an uncomfortable glare in his tired eyes. He shifted uncomfortably inside his seat and tugged at his neck collar.

I entered the room and quickly locked the door behind me, praying that he would tell me.

"What do you mean Claire? I didn't do anyt-" I cut off his words, fury burning through my mind.

"SHUT UP! YOU DID DO SOMETHING!" I shouted at him through tears- "don't lie to me..."

"I did? To Dale? Why on Earth would I do that?" he asked innocently.

"... because you're evil." I practically spat the words out at him.

"Oh, I guess I did do something to him now that I think about it, you're right, about me doing something to Dale and about me being... evil." he had said with a wicked grin.

He's playing with me! I thought to myself in disgust.

"I don't have time for this, I don't have time for you and your stupid games, tell me what you did to him, or I'll kill your pack, every single one of them." I threatened with desperation.

He knew I was capable of killing every member in his pack because I was the golden wolf. Although, he didn't know that I was bluffing. I wouldn't dare hurt my old pack.

"Fine. I'll tell you-" my eyes widened in relief, "if you do something for me, my dear sweet Claire."

I hesitated. "Anything. As long as you tell me what you did to my mate." I stated boldly.

A smile appeared across his pursed lips, "give up your golden wolf to me, give me your powers and I will tell you. I will tell you everything." he beckoned.

I stumbled back, astonished- "okay..." I whispered.

"Good, now follow me." he said while getting up.

I knew exactly where he was going. When I was still a child, Cameron and I were playing hide and seek. I hid inside of my father's temple without realization that, at the time, an ancient ceremony was being performed in it.

I watched as two men stood face to face towards one another, they each stood inside a given circle. One man's circle being larger than the other, but the bizarre thing was that they were both holding a blade in their right hand... suddenly, a clock had chimed and they each sliced one another's left wrist.

After their blood had dripped into their circles, the man in the smaller circle had fallen to his knees, while his wolf had ripped out of his wrist and slowly disappeared into the other mans wrist.

I had ran back towards Cameron and quickly explained what I had just seen, he told me it was only an exchanging ceremony. The man in the smaller circle was giving his wolf and powers to the man in the larger circle.

Pushing away the burning memories, I followed my dad out the door and we made our way towards the temple.

It wasn't long before we had come across the opening of the temple, my father pushed open the steel doors and switched on some lights.

Sure enough, there were the two circles that I had seen as a child.

One large and one small.

My father had walked over to one corner of the room and opened a compartment hidden within the walls. He took out a box and pulled out the same two blades the men had used on one another.

"Step inside the miniature circle and I'll explain the rest." my father had directed me.

"I already know the rest." I snarled.

His eyes perked up towards me and he tossed a blade in my direction- "very well then."

The blade was cold in my hands, I examined the carvings that were carefully indented within the sheer, wooden handle of it and clutched it tightly into my right hand.

My father was now inside the larger circle, unbuttoning the buttons on the sleeve of his sleek, blue dress shirt.

"When the clock chimes, we slice." my father's words had caught me off guard, but I simply nodded in response.

After about 20 minutes, my body had flinched at the loud clanging noise of the clock that had chimed above us.

My eyes laid fixated on my father's and we both raised our rights hands in unison... only to let our hands fall back down to allow our blades to penetrate into each other's wrists.

I watched as my blood had dripped down into my circle and I knew that I had made a huge mistake.