Flashbacks

Winter was approaching and I stood at Dale's side as he gave commands to his troops- "group one will travel down east to collect wood, group two will go west and-" his voice trailed off as I thought of my brother again.

It had been exactly around this time when a member from the Myriad pack had brutally murdered him.

I wandered away from Dale and I poked my head into a large window, looking down at the troops as they shifted into wolves and took their orders.

But there was a particular wolf that held my interest, he was slightly larger than the others, his eyes held rage and a crazed hunger in them, but there was something else about him that caught my attention, his fur was a familiar, deep, auburn color.

He was the wolf that killed my brother.

Cameron's twisted body popped into my head, causing me to drop to my knees and violently blink the image away.

I felt my eyes swirl as a golden light gleamed off of me. I tasted revenge.

I raced down the staircase, making it out of the door before the auburn wolf had a chance to perform his duties- "Claire?!"I heard Dale call after me.

I snarled at his call.

My wolf ripped out and my golden gleam grew brighter within every racing step I took.

I picked up speed and charged straight towards the murderous brute that killed my brother, when suddenly, flames sparked all around me.

I was suddenly trapped inside a steaming hot ring of fire!

I watched as Dale had shifted back into a human and approached the ring of fire with me, standing no more than a few feet away. "Claire, just what do you think you're doing?" he had asked me in an irritated tone.

I shifted back too, not saying a word.

I felt eyes and curious murmurs all around us.

My mind went blank for a moment and I could think of nothing more to do or say, but to run into Dale's arms, crying and in need of his comfort.

He stood there dazed and shocked, this was the first time I had ever hugged him, or showed signs of needing him.

Our sparks rubbed against each other, leaving the both of us tingling in surprise.

Dale lead me back into the house and straight into his room.

"What happened?" I could hear Dale softly ask as he shut the door behind him.

"I- I don't know, I got angry." I stammered.

"At what." he narrowed his eyes as me.

"I can't say." I whispered, afraid that he'd find out about my hatred for his pack.

"You don't need to, I already know." he spoke with a serious tone.

"Wh-what? How?!" I exclaimed in confusion.

"Our mate pulls... They allow me to feel your emotions sometimes, especially if they're strong. I felt that you wanted to kill Mason, I don't know for what, but I felt it." he replied.

I had supposed that Mason was the wolf with the auburn fur- "he killed my brother 4 years ago." I sighed, a tear now rolling down my cheek.

Dale pulled me towards him and slowly kissed my forehead while rubbing my back.

"Did your brother love you?" I heard Dale mumble into my ear.

I nodded.

"Did he protect you?"

I nodded.

"Was he your best friend?"

I nodded again.

"I may not know much about love, protection or friendship..." he paused, while taking in a deep breath- "but I can promise you that I will forever give you those things, I will forever give you what you've lacked most in life these last four years and I will forever try my best to exceed your needs."

I squeezed him tightly in my arms, and pushed my lips into his, my flashbacks of Cameron had completely vanished.