The Attack

Things between Luke and I had become awkward ever since the day we had watched that movie together.

We would pass each other in the halls but never look each other in the eyes, plus, Dale had told his pack that I was his mate and that made things even more awkward.

The night was cool and the house was chilled, the temperatures outside were below freezing and the bed Dale and I had shared was damped with coldness.

Less than an hour ago, our electrics had failed, our phone lines went dead and our heating systems shut off.

I snuggled deeper into Dale's arms, his blaze wolf had been heating his body and keeping the both of us warm.

"This is too weird." I heard Dale whisper to me in the darkness.

"What is?" I questioned.

"I don't.. know, it's just that my house is the largest in the forest, the most efficient, it's never died like this before." he said thoughtfully.

"Well, there is a crazy blizzard outside and the degrees is far below zero. Maybe it's just the storm, Dale." I suggested.

He got out of bed and lit a candle.

"Where are you going?" I whispered out after him.

He stopped at the door and turned his head back to me, "to prepare my troops for war."

I raced towards him.

"War? What? With who? How do you even know?!" I asked, deliberately confused.

His footsteps stopped, and he brought his voice down to a whisper, "I can feel it. I can feel them all around us, hidden in the snow, hidden in the trees, they're waiting. They cut off our power, they cut off everything."

I stumbled against the darkness, "Dale. You're talking nonsense, there's nothing, there's no one. The storm shut off our power!"

"Claire, for the 5 years that I've been Alpha here, not once has the telephone lines or electricities gone out due to a storm, they've never even gone out in general!" Dale whispered to me in an angry tone.

Dale set his fire down.

"Come with me." he said.

I followed him up to the third level of the building, clutching his shirt in my hand through the darkness.

"Look outside, but keep your head low." Dale instructed.

I took a peek, making sure to keep my head as low as possible.

"What do you see?" he had asked me.

"Nothing." I said, "just snow and some trees."

"Look harder." was all he said.

I squinted my eyes, and through the blowing snow and darkness, I could make out tiny lumps on the ground, each one spaced out evenly, forming a massive circle around the pack house and in the trees, were dark figures that hugged the branches, being careful not to move.

I gasped- "Dale. Let's go wake up the troops."

Together, we traveled door to door, telling each member to wake up and prepare for war, telling them where our enemies were hiding and telling them to spread the word, but silently.

After about 20 minutes, the word had spread everywhere and the troops appeared before the Alpha and his Luna. There stood about 200 of us.

Usually, there were only 140 or 150 members in a pack, but many werewolves had abandoned their packs to joined Alpha Dale's pack, just as he had became the new Alpha.