The Joke

It had been almost a week since I had last arrived here. My wounds, still hurting more than ever, and my mate, still playful like usual.

I sat in Dale's bed, wearing his clothes, since I had none of my own.

If it weren't for that stupid guy in the forest by the cliff, I wouldn't be here, wounded and I would be on my way, starting a new life in the world somewhere.

I sighed, if only I wasn't a late shifter then my werewolf blood would kick in and I'd be able to self heal. But sadly, I still haven't been able to shift yet.

Suddenly, Dale walked into the room, "I want to introduce you to my pack," he had said to me with a huge smile.

"Yup." I said, not really wanting to meet them because of the tragedy with my brother.

"Yup? he repeated." that's all you have to say to that?"

"Yup." I said again.

I could see the anger flowing in his eyes as he stared at me.

"God, you have anger issues," I silently mumbled to myself.

"I want to, introduce you... to my pack." he stated again, this time gritting his teeth at me.

I had feared my own mate. "Okay, calm down, I'll come."

Dale hauled me down the steps towards his large pack.

We had stopped on a low balcony that gave me quite a wonderful view of the entire dining area! I had never been down here before.

His home was massive and extremely joyful, filled with vibrant colors and really expensive items.

Music was playing, people were laughing, eating, playing games, dancing, and talking.

Suddenly, I heard Dale's low voice speak, "pack!" he had yelled from the top of the balcony.

The entire room fell silent, music was turned off, people stopped speaking, everyone turned their attention up towards Dale.

My eyes widened at the sight, wow! I had thought to myself, 'they really do respect their Alpha, either that or he they fear him because he murdered the last one.'

Dale's voice had suddenly intertwined with my thoughts- "I want to proudly announce that we have a new member joining our pack!" he said, pausing to look at me- "this is Claire! She is our newest member and I hope that she will be treated with great respect."

The pack cheered and applauded.

I surely did feel welcomed here, I smiled and politely bowed, I thought everything was over with, until... Dale had spoken again.

"As our tradition that we have followed for many years now! Our new member will shift into her wolf form so we can see what type of wolf she is!" his words stained my mind, making me tremble and cringe.

I took a step back and felt a hot tear roll down my cheek.

'No... No,' I thought, 'this is the same exact reason I was banned from my previous pack!'

My mind went blank and I felt sweat drip down the side of my head, my knees began shaking uncontrollably.

There was a bleak moment of silence that filled the room, all eyes were on me, waiting impatiently for me to shift.

I stood there, motionless, hoping for a miracle. But nothing happened.

It was as if time had just stopped and everyone's eyes were focused on me. Why did Dale ask me beforehand if I was shifted yet or not? This was so embarrassing! I felt a knot appear in my stomach and my heart began to beat faster.

With shame, I had no choice but to say, "I-I can't... I, haven't transformed yet... I don't know how to," the entire pack suddenly broke out into a herd of loud gasps laughter.

"So much for respect..." I mumbled to myself. I felt like a complete joke.