CHAPTER 3: Manager For A Day

CARRIE

        It's been a couple of days since I met our new neighbor. Or I should say, our new hot as hell neighbor.

        Though I have been trying to avoid him by leaving a little earlier, before Sam would even wake up.

        I was doing good for a while. At least until tonight. 

        Sam had left for a convention for the three day holiday weekend and I had taken off to enjoy the place to myself. At least that's what I had planned.

        I was sitting on the couch, watching Netflix and had just ordered some Sushi and California rolls and while waiting and trying to choose a movie to watch, I heard loud booming music coming from across the hallway.

        I tried ignoring it, but finally, after almost fifteen minutes of it going on and clearly nobody else was bothered enough by it to call the police, I decided that I wasn't gonna let some new neighbor come and play shit like that that loud. Especially at this hour.

        So I got up and headed across the hall and knocked on his door as loud as I could. But he didn't answer. So I started pounding on the door with my fist and finally, I heard the music get turned down by a lot, then as I began walking back to my apartment, I then hear the door being unlocked and right as it opened, I had already gone into my apartment and closed my door.

         I sat down and finally chose a movie. Then I heard a knock at my door almost half an hour later and knew it was the food.

        So I grabbed the money on the table and opened up the door, expecting to see the delivery guy, but instead it was Hunter.
Who was holding a bag of the food I had ordered.

        "Um..." I began but he cut me off.

        "Sorry, I took the liberty of paying for this for you. As an apology for being rude, playing my music real loud." He smiled.

        "It's okay. Just, don't do it again. Cause believe it or not, people do like peace and quiet around here." I tell him.

        "Yeah. I'm just not used to having neighbors." He replies.

        "Really? Where did you live, in the middle of nowhere?" I laughed trying to make a joke.

        "Anyways, here ya go." He chuckles and then hands me the bag and before he turns and walks back towards his apartment, I stop him.

        "Well, wait. I have to at least pay you back for this." I tell him while trying to hand him the money.

        "Don't worry about it. Like I said, it's an apology. And a thank you for not calling the cops." He smiles at me again with that sexy smile of his.

         Then, the next thing that happened, I'm still not sure in how it did, but I just blurted it out.

        "Are you hungry?" I asked him.

        He turns around and cocks an eyebrow up while looking at me, then smirks a little bit.

        "Yeah." He says.

        "Well, if you like Sushi or California rolls, there's more than plenty. If you want." I offered. Shit, can I ever just shut the hell up and not cause awkward moments? Also, why am I letting this guy cause me to act different and weird? Oh that's right, he's hot.

         "Thanks. I'd love to." He replies as he begins walking in.

         After closing the door behind me, I offer him a drink and after telling me he'd like a beer, I set the food down in front of the couch on the coffee table, then go and get his drink and mine as well.

         Then after handing him his, I take a seat beside him and start taking out the containers and chopsticks along with the sauces and the plates.

        As I opened the containers and started putting things on my plate, I didn't realize until I sat back and before I started eating, I noticed he was looking at me with a look of admiration on his face?

        "What?" I asked.

        "Nothing. I just think it's really cool that you aren't one of those girls who doesn't eat, especially in front of a guy." He smiles while starting to put things onto his plate and then leans back next to me on the couch.

         "Yeah, well, I'm not one of those.... anymore." I chuckled a little bit while lowly saying the last part, before then taking a bite.

         "Why would you ever..." He began but I quickly changed the subject and interrupted him as I did not want to talk about my past fat/humiliation stories. Especially to someone I don't really know.

         "Ooooo, look! It's Spaceballs. I haven't seen this movie in forever." I say.

         He doesn't say anything, just chuckles a little and takes a bite of a roll. Then I just start playing the movie.

         After we ate and after the movie was over and I put all the food away and cleaned the few dishes. I was getting tired and we decided to say goodnight.

        "Well, I appreciate the dinner and I guess I'll see ya around." I tell him while standing in the doorway and leaving no room for an awkward moment to happen.

        "Yeah. Have a goodnight, Carrie." He says then turns and starts heading to his apartment.

         Damn, I love the way he just said my name.

         Though after locking up, turning everything off and laying in bed, I started reminding myself about how I need to not let a guy distract me. No matter how nice or how hot he is, I can't risk going through all that pain again. Both physically and emotionally.

        Although it doesn't hurt dreaming or fantasizing about him.

*****************************************

         The next morning, I woke up and got ready to head down to the shop.

         Sam texted me early this morning, asking if I could look over the shop while she was gone.

         Which of course I didn't mind and thought it would be fun.

         As soon as I opened the shop, since I was the first one here, I began playing some music and started counting the money in the cash register and began preparing for the rest of the day.

        I was setting several stations up, though I know I didn't have to, but I guess it was just out of habit from at the barber shop and how I liked to be prepared. Plus, there's nothing really else to do.

        Though sometime, while setting up the last station, Hunter came in and when I turned around, I was startled when I saw him. Which I forgot he worked here.

        "Oh my god." I gasped.

        "My aren't we up early." He smiles.

        "Yeah. Sam asked me to look over things while she's gone." I tell him.

        "Cool." He replies as I notice him checking me out, looking me up and down, which I know I should be flattered and what not, but I'm self conscious.

         "So how did you get in here? I haven't opened the shop yet." I asked.

         "Actually, you left the door unlocked. Also, she gives everyone a key." He chuckles.

         "Shit. I guess that's what I get for not having any coffee." I laughed at myself.

          "Don't worry, I won't tell." He winks at me.

          Which I don't know why, but it made me suddenly blush.

Next chapter will be posted soon! :)