Chapter 25: Starry Sky

"Run! Run away from this place, Clara!"

"Get away from her!"

"Kyaaaaaaaaa!!!!"

A dark, hairy monster with gleaming red eyes opens it's horribly large mouth revealing it's sharp and long teeth, howling loudly. Students run about, in a state of utter panic and chaos. In the midst of it, a group of handsome boys circle around a young girl, protecting her. As the monsters surrounded the group, the body of another student was visible. Shocked eyes, a missing leg, and long pink hair dyed red in her own blood.

———————————

"Ahh!!!"

I wake up with a jolt, my nightgown sticking to my back from the sweat. A quick rap on the door resounds and Emma comes straight into my room, with a slightly worried expression on her face.

"Princess?"

"Sorry, it was a nightmare; what time is it?"

"It's five in the morning, Princess. Are you alright?"

"Yes, I'm alright. It's a bit early, but could you prepare a bath for me? I want to refresh myself."

"As you wish."

Emma swiftly enters the bathroom and prepares the bath. After a few minutes, she comes back reporting that the bath is ready. Emma is about to follow me inside, but I stop her.

"Is it alright if I could have some time for myself? I need some time to calm down."

She hesitates for a bit, but nods her head and closes the bathroom door. I strip down my nightgown and enter the lavender-scented bath. The calming scent drifts to my nose as I calm down my pounding heart. Snippets of the nightmare come back, making shiver in the hot water. Seeing your own dead body isn't really the best wake up call. Since I've already experienced dying once, I'm even more scared to die again. Will I just turn into nothingness? Or will I have to carry on my memories to another life? Who knows if I'll be reincarnated again in the first place?

I sink lower into the bath, covering my body up to my chin. I let myself forget about everything else and relax as much as time allows.

———————————

Emma knocked on the door to signal it was time for me to leave the bath. I wrap a bathrobe around myself and exit the bathroom, letting Emma take care of everything else. While she dries my hair, she speaks to me in a soft voice.

"Princess, is it alright if I ask you a question?"

"Of course."

"...Do you love His Highness Ren?"

I almost jump out of my chair. My cheeks turn slightly pink and I whip my head in Emma's direction subconsciously.

"Excuse me. I shouldn't have asked that."

"No, no. It's fine. I was just a bit surprised, that's all."

"Then...do you?"

I turned back to the mirror in front of me and looked at my reflection.

"Frankly...I love him. I love him a lot."

"I see...may I ask why?"

"Hmm...well, he's kind, funny, strong...oh; and he's fun to tease. But most of all, I love the way he smiles. It's genuine and full of kindness; the kind that brings warmth to one's heart...why are you asking this all of a sudden?"

"...no particular reason."

I felt her hand slightly tremble as she brushes my hair. I pretend to not notice as I sneak a glimpse at her expression. Her eyes dim quickly, a grim expression on her face.