Ch-17 ...seek refuge in Allah! (Part 2)

In the Name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful

'Peace and Blessings of Allah be upon our beloved Prophet and Master Muhammad (s.a.s), all his blessed descendents and noble companions.'

-Aameen.

Dedicated to Ash, for I'm a fan of her beautiful soul ;)

Chapter Seventeen

...seek refuge in Allah! (Part 2)

Alex closed the door behind him and locked it quietly.

He saw that she was still standing with her back towards him and took a firm step towards her.

The next second he stopped as a bolt of searing pain hit his eyes. Gasping, he instinctively passed a hand to cover them both. The madness and passion of the throbbing heart not a second ago seemed to be replaced by profound fear. Alex did not know for how many seconds he stood there like that covering his eyes while the fear steadily grew in his heart.

When the pain seemed to become dull, he lowered his hand and cautiously opened his eyes.

For a moment, everything appeared hazy and the fear almost escalated to panic when Alex thought that maybe he had gone blind. He did not seem to realize what an unnatural thought it was for a healthy man. He only felt that after the pain such a thing was not impossible.

But when slowly the shapes around him took definite form, Alex realized, that becoming blind would have been better.

The first thing he saw was Humaira standing exactly in the same place, completely unaware of him or her surroundings. The next that he saw was of course her surroundings or those 'things' which surrounded her.

Alex did not know what they were except that they aroused deep fear in him. If not for the fear, he would have been mesmerized by their dazzling beauty. They seemed to have no form or shape as they moved and surrounded all around Humaira.

To Alex, it was their brilliant luminous colours which inspired awe in him while they dazzled and glowed all around the library. Even the grand spectacle of aurora that he had seen during one of his travels was put to shame now, before what he was witnessing.

The blue eyes turned almost violet in their intensity as they saw that these lustrous iridescent forms seemed to be floating or were they descending? from the ceiling above as they continuously increased in number as they surrounded Humaira...

The growing dread finally attacked him when Alex realized that they were coming towards him.

The single step that he had taken towards her with sin in his heart would remain etched in his memory for years to come as Alex turned and blindly fumbled with the locked door.

When he came outside stumbling and screening his eyes as his heart pounded and heaved crazily, Alex realized that he was drenched in sweat.

"Is everything alright sir?" The loitering steward asked with a puzzled air, for not even five minutes had passed but the man had come out again.

Alex clutched the steward's arm and panted,

"J...just tell me what you see i...in there..."

He roughly turned the steward towards the entrance who when looking inside saw Humaira moving towards another cabinet.

"Why, there is a woman in there sir! I told you I will check, shall I send her out?"

When he faced Alex, he was startled to see that the face was ghastly white.