15. Determination

---***---

Four years ago, the Stark Valley was once a land full of life where people possessing different magical elements lived peacefully. Fruit-bearing trees were everywhere as well as colorful flowers that filled the air with their fragrances. It was once called "The Valley of Life."

It was a fine morning, many people were busy with their everyday lives. A child around six years old was sitting on the grass while watching those who were busy practicing their elements with dreams of going to the Mountain of Glory and become a disciple.

Suddenly, the clear blue sky darkened and the parents of the child immediately ran towards him but it was too late as a terrifying creature appeared out of nowhere and landed on the ground, stepping and crushing the beautiful and fragile flowers with its large claws. The creature had a huge body and four legs. Its tail was long as well as its neck. It also had a horn on its forehead and huge wings. The boy couldn't move from his position.

"Wei Shun! Run and don't look back!" The child's father shouted pushing his son away.

"Go! Always remember...we love you." His mother said with tears in her eyes.

The poor child walked a few steps away from them and looked back. He didn't move and just cried. He looked at his parents and the people around him who were in a panic.

The legendary creature started to spit fire, burning their houses and the surrounding area. The people fought back using their elements but the creature was too strong and defeated them.

The child stood frozen in place and looked at his parents who ran towards his direction. The creature fired a huge ball of fire aiming at the child. The child's mother summoned a large fire dragon and it shielded the child against the ball of fire. While his father immediately pushed him towards a small hole under the ground. The last thing he saw before he was surrounded by darkness was his parents fighting the creature and on top of the creature was a man, a man wearing a mask.

When he opened his eyes, he immediately went out of the hole and what he saw terrified him, a land with no trace of life. There were glowing embers on the ground. He looked for his parents and friends but he couldn't find them. The smoke was too thick and the wind was too strong carrying some ashes away.

He was surrounded by roaring flames but he couldn't feel the hotness of his surroundings for coldness was slowly creeping into his life. He was all alone. The place he once called home where he shared his dreams with his parents and friends was now a land full of nightmares. He blamed himself if only he could defend himself and others. If only he was strong enough...

"There's a survivor here!" was the last thing he heard before losing consciousness.

  --- excerpt from the novel "Daybreak"---

"Are you alright, Wei Shun?" Yu Zeng asked the child.

"Yes, big brother." He smiled warmly at Yu Zeng. I am not alone now. I will do everything to protect my big brother.

"Congratulations Wei Shun! You won. I'm so proud of you." Yu Zeng couldn't contain his happiness but something suddenly caught his attention while looking at the small and cute face of the child. He gathered a handful of water and immediately placed it on Wei Shun's cheek to heal his bruise.

"Does it still hurt?" He asked the child.

"No, big brother. Thank you." Wei Shun hugged Yu Zeng but his knee accidentally touched Yu Zeng's wound. Yu Zeng grimaced in pain.

"I'm sorry, big brother." Wei Shun was worried.

"It's okay. It's not really painful." Yu Zeng checked his wound on his leg and placed some water on the wound and concentrated. The pain disappeared and the wound was starting to heal.