29. Pandora's Box II

---***---

Large drops of sweat could be seen forming on Dong Fang's forehead, his eyes were shut tightly like he had intense pain. Mei Shu was scared and was frozen in place. She heard movements behind her and saw Heng Guiying, Ai Jin, and Wei Shun standing close to the door while Yu Zeng hurriedly went to Dong Fang's side and tried to heal him but there was no effect. Dong Fang was still coughing blood. Tears were slowly forming in Yu Zeng's eyes. The door suddenly opened, Yu Zeng looked at the door and saw the grandmaster slowly walking towards the bed.

All eyes were on Zhou Zhihao. Yu Zeng stood up and slightly bow along with the other disciples in the room.

"His body is getting weaker. If he won't fight harder. This may lead to his death or him losing his element." The grandmaster solemnly said. "All we can do right now is wait and hope that he recovers."

Heng Guiying saw the tears forming in Yu Zeng's eyes. Heng Guiying felt a pang in his chest. His heart sank when he saw the reaction of Yu Zeng to what happened to Dong Fang.

What should I do? Yu Zeng's hands were slightly shaking. My heart is so painful. Towards the villain... why do I feel this way? Yu Zeng felt someone holding his hands and saw Wei Shun.

"Big brother Dong Fang will be alright." Wei Shun said to him. I hope big brother Dong Fang wakes up soon. I don't want to see the sadness on my big brother Yu Zeng's face. I don't want to see anyone around me disappear again.

Heng Guiying walked towards Yu Zeng and patted his shoulder. Should I also eat the elemental fruit to suffer the consequence of Dong Fang? If that happens, will you also look at me the way you look at him? Heng Guiying thought.

Ai Jin followed Heng Guiying and felt remorse for what she did. She wanted to confess what she did but felt scared of what the others might think of her.

The grandmaster looked at Dong Fang and remembered something from his past.

(Start of flashback)

"Where are you going?" Zhou Zhihao asked when he noticed that He Shui was walking towards the forests alone.

It was after the competition held in their sect and Zhou Zhihao was hailed as the winner while He Shui lost in his first match. After the awarding ceremony, he saw He Shui went out of his room and he decided to follow him.

"I forgot to get some herbs... in the forest." He Shui said while trying to avoid eye contact with Zhou Zhihao. They were standing near the forest and they were the only people in the area.

"I'm free right now. I will accompany---"

"No need. No need. Oh! I forgot that our master called for you. He may have some important tasks for you. You should hurry up and find him." He Shui said hurriedly. He looked at the ground and sighed.

"Ah... alright. Be careful. See you later." Zhou Zhihao hesitantly turned his back and was about to walk away when He Shui hugged him.

Zhou Zhihao slightly smiled. He turned around and kissed He Shui's cheeks.

He Shui was surprised and slightly smiled."See you later."

Zhou Zhihao nodded. When He Shui turned his back against Zhou Zhihao, the smile on his face faded and was replaced with sadness. He looked at the darkness of the forest in front of him with no hint of light and only the sounds of the branches swaying by the wind could be heard. I'm only doing this for both of us. I want to be stronger to be able to protect you. He took a deep breath and walked towards the darkness of the forest.

Zhou Zhihao didn't know that it was the last time he would see him smile at him.

I should have accompanied him. I should have prevented him from going there... I should have... If I did that... Zhou Zhihao sadly thought. He calmed his emotions and looked at the disciples in the room.

"It's time for the awarding ceremony. We should go now to the tournament grounds." The grandmaster said. He took a glance at Dong Fang who was no longer coughing blood before leaving.

Yu Zeng wanted to stay behind and accompany Dong Fang but the disciples needed to be present during the awarding ceremony, so, although it was painful for him he took a deep breath and leaving Dong Fang behind. He wanted to m immediately return to Dong Fang's side after the ceremony.

l will return, Dong Fang. Mei Shu thought and coldly looked at Yu Zeng who was also looking at Dong Fang.

"We should go now, Wei Shun." Yu Zeng put his hand on the child's shoulder and went out of the room together with Heng Guiying, Ai Jin, and Mei Shu.

When they arrived on the tournament grounds, there were already many disciples in the place and the grandmaster was floating at the center of the stage. His white robes fluttered in the wind.

"Tonight, we are gathered here to celebrate the end of the competition. I know that you are all aware of what happened to one of the disciples who fought in the match. We hope that he gets well soon." Zhou Zhihao said.

"We are gathered here to congratulate and award the champion of the competition among the different sects. Let us congratulate Ai Jin from the West sect. She will be given 10 rare medicinal plants." The grandmaster motioned for a disciple near the stage who was holding a rectangular woven basket with rare plants.

Ai Jin went on stage to receive her award. She didn't feel happy, it was like every step she took brought pain to her heart.

The grandmaster landed on stage and took the woven basket filled with rare plants. The plants had different colors and shapes, like the purple colored star leaf plant which could not only improve the cultivation level but could also aid in muscle pain, the orange crescent leaf-plant which could help a disciple to not feel hungry for a long time, the rainbow-colored flower plant which could detect evil presence and intentions, the pink four-leaf plant which could bring luck and could drive away evil, the white circle leaf plant which could help a disciple to copy an element temporarily.

When Zhou Zhihao handed the basket with rare plants to Ai Jin something happened to the rainbow-colored plants which shocked not only the grandmaster and Ai Jin but also the people around them.

(... to be continued.)

---***---

... reviews are welcome! ^^

Author's notes:

Thanks for all the likes and for subscribing to this story. 💕

---***---

Spoiler for the next chapter.

Father? Ai Jin stood frozen. Why did you come here?

Feel free to check my other stories. 💕