Chapter 4

So... this chapter wasn't originally planned like this. But it was too brilliant to shove in the back of my mind.

Hope it's not too confusing.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dylan

"I'm lost." I shook my head.

"How? I spelled it out for you."

I narrowed my eyes.

"You said she was fine. She woke up and- she just can't-" I struggled to find the words.

"Dylan," my mom placed a hand on my shoulder.

"The amount of blood loss was too much." Ms. Evans told me.

I shook my head.

"No, that- she can't-" I started panting.

This cannot be happening.

"Dylan she could wake up."

"And if she doesn't?" I snapped at my mother. I regretted it instantly.

"Coma's aren't always as serious as they seem." "But she could never wake up." I glanced through the clear window.

Carter's body looked almost life-less. She was so pale, so weak.

"She will." My mother rubbed my back.

"She has to." I whispered. "The last conversation we had, she told me to stop sending her letters."

That was yesterday.

"Sit baby." My mom made me sit between her and Ms. Evans.

"I've watched how Carter's been acting these past few months. I've never seen my daughter so depressed in my life. And- I don't know what to say. I've never had to deal with this from a child. I feel like such a bad parent.." Ms. Evans' started crying.

Even though we both shared a mutral hate, I squeezed her hand.

"She doesn't eat as much as she used to. She sleeps later. She's always complaining about headaches. She doesn't even dress the same sometimes. She's not the same Carter."

I stood up angrily.

"She broke up with me! Has anyone even considered that I could be hurting too? That I don't sleep? That I don't seem to care about a life anymore without her in it?!"

"Dylan, honey we've all been through breakups-" "No! You don't understand how I feel! Carter was the only girl I've ever loved and she's sitting on a damn hospital bed in a coma!"

My heart was going too fast. I had to run.

"I told you that she almost died last time I left! You made me leave and look where we are!" I screamed at my mom.

"I couldn't protect her." I whispered as I once again looked at Carter's body.

I didn't say anything else before I ran out of the hospital. Mainly because I didn't want anyone seeing me break down.

Emma Mace

"What happened to our kids?" I laid my head on Rosabelle's shoulder.

"Exactly." she sighed.

"They're sixteen! Aren't they a little young to be so depressed with a breakup?" I ran my hands through my hair. Wait, Dylan turned 17 over the summer...

But I was at least 17 when I first had my heart broken.

"Do you know why they broke up?" Rosa looked over at me.