Chapter 14

I feel like I am awake for hours before Dylan acknowledges I'm awake.

"I tried to save you, so many times." he whispers, looking up at the ceiling.

"Why can't we save each other? I couldn't save you. I couldn't save Holland." I pull the covers over my face.

"That wasn't your fault." "It will forever feel like it." "Carter stop, okay? It wasn't, and it never will be. Everything is destined for a reason, remember?"

"If that's true then why do we keep doing this? Why are we constantly fighting? I'm not happy when we're like this. I love you, but this is literally killing me inside Dylan."

"I'm sorry!"

I shake my head and sit up, trying to blink away my blurred vision from the tears. "I'm sorry too but- Dylan we're killing each other. We're over here, trying to catch the mass murder of this town and we're killing each other."

"I would rather be killed by you than anyone else."

I shake my head with a light laugh. "That's not how it works."

"But that's how we work. And it's okay. That's how it is to be in a relationship, and I wouldn't do this with anyone but you. You make the ride worth it."

I kiss him.

"Why are you so, utterly good with your mouth?"

He smirks slightly.

"That's not what I meant." I laugh.

"Well I guess I'm gonna have to prove that to you huh?"

I roll my eyes,. Leave it to Dylan to lighten the mood, but I'm thankful for that. Waking up to his jokes in the morning is better than waking up to a fight.

"We're very wrong for each other." I shake my head, touching his forehead with mine.

"Sometimes two things are so right for each other, it's wrong. We happen to be a very good example Ms. Evans."

"Are you trying to have makeup sex?" "Very hard. Literally."

I laugh and smack his shoulder. "What if I was on my period?"

"That hasn't stopped many."

I cringe. "You're disgusting."

"Every man is." he states before creeping his hand up my waist and pressing his mouth to mine.

Sundays, gotta love them.

*  *  *