{12}

"Go fish." John smiled holding the deck of cards held in front of his face.

"We're playing poker." Chad laughed while throwing his cards on the table along with Flea and Alex groaning. Alex didn't mind staying in the mansion. She enjoyed it. She liked watching the guys work hard, and become passionate towards the album they were working on. She had never seen Anthony so focused. Watching him scribble on a piece of newspaper, she blushed as she realized she had been staring at him and he was now staring back at her. Smirking he stuck his tongue out, making her blush even harder and look away. A loud knocking from the front door made everyone slightly jump. Flea slowly looked out the window and cursed, "Fuck. Why are the police here? Did any of you guys do anything?"

"I don't think so." Chad mumbled trying to remember all of the things he's done while drunk. Anthony shook his head no confused. Everyone turned to John who stuttered,
" I stole a c-chocolate bar once." Anthony looked up at Alex making her say, "Why are you looking at me, Kiedis?"

"I don't know, Alex. What did you do?"

"Nothing! I swear!" The loud knocking interrupted there mini brawl. Sighing, Rick entered the room with two police officers at his side.

"Alex Carr?" One of them asked while looking at her.

"That's me? What's wrong?" She asked while standing up.

"We'd like to talk to you somewhere private if you don't mind."

"Sure." She nodded following them into the other room. After sitting down on the coach the other police officer began, "Are you married to Jack Nichols?"

"Y-yes." She stuttered while thinking, my ex. She was still married to him. When he became abusive she moved away. Far away. He's usually never in town because of his truck driving business. The reason she's never gotten a divorce is because she's too afraid. He managed to find her second apartment. He'll find you know matter what. He'll beat you. He'll kill you, she thought as her hands began to shake.

"I'm sorry. Your husband was in a serious truck accident. He's been in the hospital for a couple days and is in poor condition. We came by to go over some paperwork. If you wanted to take care of him, or send him to a nursing facility."

"I....I was planning on divorcing him."

"Oh, Ok. We'll contact his mother for the time being. But if you want to get divorced, I suggest doing it now. Before his condition gets worse and he becomes unresponsive."

"Alright. Thank you, officers." She mumbled escorting them to the door while thinking, You have to do it. Just get it done and over with, Alex. Don't end up trapped with no where to run. Stop hiding. Do it now. Making her way back into the room Chad asked, "Is everything okay?"

"Yeah. Don't worry about it." Alex smiled. Noticing everyone was staring at her confused she sighed, "I'm gonna go for a walk." Quickly turning on her heel she slammed the back door shut, and smiled feeling the chilly wind blow against her face. Walking down the huge flights of stairs she heard Anthony's voice calling, "Hey! Wait up!" Slightly panting he caught up to her and mumbled, "Damn you walk fast."

They walked in sync. It was quiet. The only thing that could be heard was the sound of there footsteps repetitively pounding against the sidewalk. The sun was beginning to set, creating a light orange in the sky that was once blue. "So..." Anthony sighed making her reply, "So?"

"So. What's up?" He asked while looking at her.

"Nothing much."

"Hm. Nothing? The police just came to the mansion to talk to you. That's something."

"Eh. It wasn't important. Don't worry about it."

"I am worried. Did you murder someone or something?"

"What? No. Don't be ridiculous, Anthony. I didn't do anything illegal. Everything's fine."

"Something's bothering you. I can tell."

"Stop. I'm not gonna tell you."

"Aha! So something is bothering you!"

"Anthony, stop!"

"No! I'm worried!"

"Trust me, I'm worried too!" She snapped back. Looking at the bench they began to walk past, she quickly stopped and sat down while putting her face in her hands. "My life's shit. Everything's shit. No matter how fast I run. How good I hide. It always catches up, and finds me." She explained on the verge of tears. Anthony frowned and slowly sat down on the bench next to her.

Grabbing her hand, and giving it a hard squeeze he said, "I get it. I'm here. You can tell me anything. You don't have to tell me now. But I'm here."

"You know my ex?"

"Yeah? What about him?"

"He's not my ex."

"What do you mean? Does he still consider you his girlfriend?"

"No."

"I don't understand....Oh my god. Alex."

"I know."

"Your still married to that asshole?!"

"Y-Yeah."

"I can't believe you."

"Trust me, Anthony! I can't believe either. Just make me feel like more of an idiot."

"I'm sorry. How come?"

"He...He's hurt me. More than once."

"I'm sorry, Alex."

"I-I'm a-afraid he'll hurt me even more if I divorce him. He's in the hospital. They want me to take care of him. But if I divorce him I won't have to. So I want to divorce him as soon as possible."

"I understand. Do you want to do it tomorrow?"

"Yes."

"I'll go with you."

"No. I don't need you. You've helped me enough."

"I don't care what you say. I'm going with you."

"Why? Anthony, it's fine. Don't worry about me."

"I'm not listening to you. I'm going."

"Um?! Excuse me! Who do you think you are?"

"I'm Anthony Kiedis. And I can do whatever I want."

"I'm Alex Carr. And I say your not going with me. I like to get what I want."

"Feisty aren't you?"

"What can I say?"

"You can say plenty of things."

"Such as?"

"Anthony is soooo handsome. Anthony should come with me tomorrow."

"Hahahaha. Nice one, but I'll have to pass." Alex smiled while ruffling Anthony's hair.