chapter 14 - cigarettes

~your p.o.v~

I was sitting on the steps in front of the Curtis' home, lighting a cigarette. Once it was lit I brought it up to my lips, taking a long drag from the cigarette. I closed my eyes, savoring it. 

I heard the front door open behind me, causing me to turn around. I saw Dal standing there. He came over and stood next to me, his hands in his pockets. 

"I'm surprised you'd do a whole project for Two-bit for no reason." Dal chuckled at the thought. 

"Shoot, I like Two-bit a whole lot. It was really no trouble." I shrugged. 

"Never heard of a soc and a greaser pairing up on a school project." Dallas spoke. I sighed.

"I hate bein' a soc." I muttered, leaning against my hand since my arm was resting on my knee. 

"What, you think being a greaser is much better?" Dallas scoffed. I shook my head.

"No, it's not that." I mumbled, staring out at the now dark sky, bringing my cigarette up to my lips again. I blew out the smoke.

"Almost every single soc I've ever met isn't genuine. Whole bunch of fakes." I sighed. I looked up at Dallas.

"Guess you guys are a bit more genuine, huh?" I chuckled to myself and shook my head. 

"Sorry, I'm out of it. Just ignore what I'm saying." I muttered. I held out my cigarette to him.

"Here." I decided I'd just let him have a hit of it. He sat down next to me and took it from me, placing it between his lips. He took a drag from it. He blew the smoke out, also staring out into the night sky. 

"For a soc I'd say you're pretty genuine." He spoke, about to bring the cigarette up to his lips again.

"Hey, I didn't say you could finish off my cigarette!" I whined, reaching out for it, he dodged me and finished it, dropping it and crushing it under his foot. I rolled my eyes and crossed my arms in an annoyed manner. 

"I hate you, Dallas Winston." I muttered. He chuckled. 

"Admit it, I'm irresistible." He mumbled, leaning closer to my face. I smirked. 

"Irresistible huh? That's a confident statement." I mumbled. He shrugged.

"Well I'm a confident guy." He shot back. I bit my lip, causing Dallas to look down at my lips. 

"You're gonna drive people crazy with those lip bites, doll." 

"I could say the same about you." I teased. 

I heard the door behind us open again and both Dallas and I looked to see who it was. I saw Johnny with a cigarette pack in hand. 

"Oh, h-hey guys." He seemed caught off guard by the fact that we were here. I gave him a smile.

"Hey, Johnny." I greeted him. I scooted over, signaling for him to sit between Dallas and me. Johnny gave me a small smile and sat down.

"You have a lighter?" He asked. I pulled my lighter out of my pocket and passed it over to Johnny. He lit his cigarette and gave the lighter back and I shoved it in my pocket. 

"How you been, Johnny?" Dallas asked, ruffling the boy's hair. Johnny gently pushed him away, letting out a whine of annoyance. 

"Parents have been real bad lately, but I'm fine." Johnny answered. I furrowed my eyebrows.

"If you don't mind me asking, what's wrong with your parents?" Johnny gently sighed next to me.

"They hit me." He mumbled. I almost didn't catch what he said since he was so quiet. He didn't look at me when he spoke, just stared off. I felt my heart skip a beat at those words.