chapter 45 - assumptions

~your p.o.v~

I stormed off. I had to get away, I couldn't get attached. Why did I let myself get attached to anyone? I don't need them, I don't need the hurt of loss.

I heard footsteps following close behind me and sped up.

They sped up, too.

To throw whoever was behind me off, I took off into a sprint. My feet hit the ground with force and I heard running behind me.

I turned for a brief moment to see Dallas trailing behind me. I scoffed and turned back around, focusing on my speed.

I only allowed my mind to focus on the steady sound of my feet hitting the ground as I flew down the street. My heavy breathing as I fought to keep it even.

I ran for a solid five minutes and was convinced I had lost Dallas, that he had given up. I slowed to a jog next to the fence by the drive-in.

I couldn't help but look at the fence for a moment, reminiscing about how many things happened there. I remember Bob stopped me, Cherry, Marcia, Bob, Two-bit, Johnny and Ponyboy right there. That was the night I met part of the gang. I was so intrigued by them.

I remembered when Dallas had thought it'd be funny to brush his lips against mine there just to tease me.

I pushed the memories away.

I turned to continue running when all of the sudden a body slammed me against the fence.

I looked up and sure enough, it was Dallas.

"Let go of me, Dallas!" I yelled, shoving him harshly. He stumbled backwards.

"Y/n, please! You're losing your fucking mind! Don't push us away, don't shrug us off and go through all of this alone!" He yelled back. I sunk against the fence.

"You don't know anything! Just leave me alone, I don't need any of you!" I growled. He scoffed.

"You think I don't know? Are you that stupid?" He snapped. I turned away from him, closing my eyes tightly. I was crying again. I didn't want to cry again.

There was a silence between us.

Suddenly I felt Dallas tightly hug me. I weakly slammed my fists into his chest, choked sobs passing my lips.

"I hate you, I hate you!" I cried out, my punches slowly coming to a stop and my crying ceasing. I didn't want to give in to him, but it was hard not to.

I gripped his shirt tightly, leaning into him.

"I hate it here." I mumbled.

"Yeah, me too," Dallas agreed. "Maybe one day you and I could ditch this place, huh?"

"Yeah."

-

Dallas and I had walked back towards the Curtis house in silence. I knew I had to apologize to Two-bit. I didn't mean anything I said to him, I was just struck by grief in the moment. I loved Two-bit, he was my best friend at the moment.

We entered the house and everyone had left for the night except the Curtis brothers, Johnny, and Two-bit.

Darry had gone to bed, but everyone else was still in the living room. The moment Dallas and I had walked through the door all eyes were on us.

"Y/n, I-"

"Two-bit, I-I'm real sorry," I had to cut Two-bit off. I had to get it off my chest. "It's all just a lot, ya know? I never meant to take it out on you. Y-you're my best friend, man. I thought I could cut all of you off, I thought it'd make it easier... I was wrong."