Ch.17 Desperate

Kunikida, Dazai, Atsushi and I walk through the gloomy corridors of the abandoned hospital. The only sound is that of our footsteps. Spooky, right?

"This is definitely creepy..." my brother says.

"I kind of like it. I feel so full of life."

"Funny, Dazai-san." I replied as I look around.

"You haven't been eating those damn mushrooms again, have you?" Kunikida asks.

As brazenly as he said this, it was Kunikida who was behind the three of us. I was leading the group, hoping for something to happen.

"You're not scared, are you, Kunikida-kun?" Dazai questions his partner.

"Are you afraid of ghosts and all that?" Atsushi asks.

"I-I'm not afraid of anything!" Kunikida shouts.

"Then get a move on, Ori-chan is younger than you and me, and she's leading."

"Fool, in movies like this, it's always the person who carelessly goes on ahead who becomes the first victim!"

Just as he said that, I scream. I end up scaring all three of them. Dazai and Atsushi went right to my side.

"What's wrong?" Dazai seriously asks.

"Are you okay?" Atsushi adds.

"I...I-I..."

The two of them follow my eyes and looked at the wall. Hanging there, was a mirror. The only thing that could be seen was our reflections.

"U-Um...Shiori?" Atsushi sweats.

"It's gone!" I freak out.

"What's gone?"

"My..."

I look towards the ground, upset.

"Shiori, what's gone? What did you loose?"

"..."

Dazai was looking at my reflection. His eyes were concentrated around my neck. The necklace he gave me was gone.

"It...was important..." I mumbled.

"I'm sure whatever you lost will show up. Or we can buy another-"

"It can't be replaced." I softly interrupted him.

"I-I'm sure we can find it, right, Kunikida-san?"

We look behind us to find Kunikida was gone. Um, where did he go?

"Kunikida-san?"

Dazai quickly converts back from his serious side to his playful one.

"Oh, Kunikida-kun~!" he foolishly calls out.

One of the random doors open and we watch Kunikida peak through it.

"D-Did she see...?"

"No, it wasn't a ghost. Ori-chan is missing something." Dazai answers.

"WHAT?!"

Kunikida stomps out of the room and right up to me. He was about to explode and give me an earful. But he stops when he sees how sad I was. He looks me over as he calms himself down.

"What are you missing?"

"My necklace..."

"Necklace?"

"I gave Ori-chan a necklace as a gift for joining the agency." Dazai lies.

"I see, when did you last have it?" Kunikida questions me.