III: The Cursed Princess

Camelia's POV

At age 2, I walked into lakes.

At age 3, I fell off balconies and stairs.

At age 4, I was no longer allowed to roam the castle.

I was not allowed to die. Queen Mystra and King Levin has taken every precaution. Nothing worked.

At first, I was thought to be sick. but when not even the best healers in the continent helped, it is clear that there was more to it. Rumors started going around that I was prone to possession by ghosts and ghouls. I was cursed, a murderer or killer in the last life and haunted by maligned souls.

Apparently this world has never heard of the medical condition called 'Depression.' I wonder if this 'cursed' label is put onto depressed people in the older eras too.

Ah well, why does it matter?

At age 5, I've resigned myself into staying stuck in my room- no, prison. Really, what else was I supposed to call a room I wasn't allowed to leave? Granted, it was my own fault, but I reserve my right to complain. No point in being polite when I'm about to die.

What do I mean by that? A special death flag is approaching any day now!

Ok, maybe it's more of a plot point than a death flag. In Camelia, Arius and Dan's backstory, there is one significant event that served as the 'fire starter' for each character's attitude towards the main problem of this world -Demons. The ever cliche and classic demon break in is what will give the young Main Characters their first insight into the terrible reality they will eventually have to face...and is a sort of personality defining event.

Hopefully, it'll be the death defining event for me.

Ugh, why isn't being bored to death a thing?

I curled up even more on my large bed, clenching the blankets and pillows that drowned me tighter. I groaned when I turned away from the window, the greenery outside failing to ease my phantom ache. Not today either, with the sky devoid of ominous black clouds or anything of the sort. A bad day even without that it seems, where my mere existence torments me like no other, draining me of the energy to do anything at all.

Thump, thump, thump...

I shot up at that.

Who's coming?!

Some muffled voices, almost exaggeratedly loud. Two voices, mumbles and babbles of unintelligible sounds that doesn't form words in my mind.

Intruders maybe? But there was no record of such event...

Unless...

I shot up, running straight to the door and pressing my ear to the birch door, straining to listen. Nothing discernible but muffled arguing of sorts now.

Could it be Demons?!

Rattling the metal handle just barely within my reach, I cursed at the door for being locked, beating a hand into it a few times. Not like it'd open that way, there was a chain lock above the turn lock, but maybe I could attract the attention of whatever was outside to kill me.

Or I can find a way to reach the locks...?

I looked around the large room: Firmly nailed wall bookshelves that are filled with books, but only on the top shelves that I can't reach, a few paces away from that is my bed...also known as the sea of pillows and cushions. Directly across is the dressing table, one with a mirror that's enchanted so it can't be broken (not that I tried to do anything with it), the chair to it that is nailed in place, the door to the bathroom that is locked near it...safe to say there's nothing I could use to elevate me.