V: Invasion Part 2

Ten minutes into the Demon Invasion and there is no signs of stopping. No clearing spot in the sky, no random beams of light, nothing. The entire castle is still filled to the brim with darkness and demons, horrified cries and screams of the defenceless echo throughout the corridors that reek of the smell of blood. If there was light, one would see the whole place littered with corpses.

Was the Demon Invasion this bad in canon? 

"Get back!"

The grating sound of something scraping against the metal shield of one of the guards right in front of us pulled me back into reality. Another guard conjures a flame so his collegues can see the enemy. But before a single bit of light was shed on the creature the thing  that hit the shield -a single, bloody 'finger' of a claw- twisted, deflecting off the shield to circle above it and stab the bearer behind it. 

The demon's visible red eyes seem to dance with delight at drawing blood.

"Kealan!" One of the guards call out from beside the stabbed guard, pulls out his sword and swiftly severed the bone stabbing his friend with one powerful, smouldering strike. Shrieking at its appendage being cut off by searing hot metal, the demon lashed out, several claws emerging from the dark and darting towards the guards. A series of fire, water and crystals were shot back in return by the Guards, while the same one who saved Keanen forced a healing potion down the injured man's throat. I mean, Kealan. My bad.

A well aimed fire blast revealed the identity of the enemy: A skeleton-like demon with extendable, sharp and bloody claws looming over the group. 

"Your Majesty!" One of the guards addresses the King. "Please go on ahead! We will hold it back for you!"

The King nodded as we split off from the guards in favour of getting to a safe place. Arius was sobbing in his arms, obviously distressed at the sight and thought of people dying for him. The Queen carried me, holding me tight in her arms as Dan kept up with the fleeing us, face pale and looking like he was going to be sick. 

Yeah no, it isn't supposed to be this bad. I'm sure. I concluded inside my head, after having raided through all my Wikipedia knowledge on the game. If I remembered it right, this Demon Invasion event was never recorded to be the longest in history or anything, because typical ones are only three minutes long, max. In fact, the end game battle was the longest in canon history, as mentioned in the epilogue, and that only lasted for six minutes.

It's well past that now.

What is going on?

After going down many twisting corridors and up and down a few staircases, we soon stopped by a seemingly inconspicuous flower vase with a single daisy inside it. King Levin reached inside it, a 'click' sounded before he pulled on the flower. A lever.

Nothing happened.

"Curses!" The daisy lever starts dripping with semi-formed ice at the King's rage. "This is ridiculous. Why are none of the hatches working?"

"Dad. Please calm down..." Arius practically whimpers as he buried his crying face deeper into the King's collar. Queen Mystra tugs on her husband's sleeve with a scolding sort of expression and he sighs. "Right. I apologise. Let's go to the next one."

"Forgive me if I am rude, Your Majesty." Dan pipes up, fidgeting with his fingers. "Couldn't we just find a place or room to hide instead? Or we could go back to Camelia's room! That place is safe, right?"

"Unfortunately, no." King Levin says darkly, urging the group to move on and taking the lead. Shining bubbles on the tip of his fingers, ready to cast a spell at even the slightest movements. "Those talismans are weak, inscribed with simple repelling effect that would only work on lesser demons. Now the ancient ones in the safe rooms, those are the ones that no demon any weaker than a Vanera can break through."