IX: Leaving

Camelia's POV

As I was packing up, a note appeared beside me:

Down the river.

I stare at it for a long time, flipping the thin piece of paper front and back a few times. What? That's it? Just three words? It's so vague! What shit is he trying to pull?

"Bah, whatever." I crumple the piece of paper and threw it into the burning fire I had started. Oh right, my grilled fish. I take a few cleaned leaves and wrapped the meat up so I could put it in my leather sack. Food is always important for a runaway, right? Genesis said that Shadow was my escape route and that it was time, so I should be able to leave.

Then again, the god also said Shadow won't kill me, which he seemed dangerously close to doing, what's with the dagger and sword at my throat. I was debating if I should just let the blade slice my head off, a quick and easy death before remembering what might happen if I did. I'm not even going to repeat it, just thinking about it fills me with dread.

Who knew though, that I would meet the Capture Target before being in school. Sure hope that a simple meeting doesn't lead to the sky falling down or anything like that. What was he even doing here? Does that happen in game?

Eh, why does that matter. Things probably have changed so much my in-game knowledge would be of no use at this point.

Slinging my makeshift pack over my shoulder, I look about my house for the past 9 years. A small cave, a makeshift bed weaved from reed stalks to the side, a simple tool rack and a few shoddily made crates for storage. It was no home sweet home, being so close to the iron bars that reminded me that I was imprisoned. Decent shelter though, who knew I was capable of surviving in the wild. Watching all those boring bushcraft shows with Dad had helped.

...wow. Can't believe that was the first time I thought of my previous family.

Wonder how are they doing without me...

Ok, brain. That's enough sentimentality for the century, get going before the Imperial Guards come around for the routine check.

Before leaving, I double checked everything: Making sure there was enough fuel in the fire spit to keep a fire burning until dark and the sacks stuffed under the cot's blanket was convincing enough to fake my absence. For sure I would get caught eventually, but by then I'd be long gone...hopefully. 

Gear check: My belt, book and pen, pouch full of sharpened stones, two daggers and slingshot. A few smaller tools and food were all in my bag. 

All set. Now to go 'down the river'.

A part of me can't drop the feeling that it might be a trick. I have been by the river feeding the lake more times than I can count and I never spotted potential escape routes. Heading downstream and keeping my eyes on the water, I spotted nothing, the same as a dozen times before.

When I reached the end of the stream, I was ready to punch a certain Capture Target and God.

There's nothing but the occasional leaf and stick floating past! What the heck!

I eyed the dusty, muddy wall that had blocked me off from the outside world, poked it a couple times but it seemed as sturdy as ever. Going up and over using the vines on it wasn't an option, the force field had that covered, literally. 

Down the river...I replayed the words over and over in my mind, peering into the water. Down...maybe I have to jump in? But then my dress will get wet and I might get hypothermia after. Walking around outside, in the middle of the night, half-naked is not the way to go. This was a famed death game. It is highly possible being too cold, simple hypothermia or otherwise, will kill.  

Damn, I wish I discovered some heat Enchantment or something. Creating a fire would be too dangerous to do near this place, the smoke will alert the guards so I have to go without it for an indefinite amount of time, as long as it takes me to get far away from here. Or maybe I should try concentrating on not getting wet? Can I control the water to do so though?

One way to find out.

I raised my dress to waist length, focusing hard on keeping water away from me before wading in. Was it working? My feet doesn't feel too wet...

I take a deep breath, keeping the image of staying dry in my head before letting go of the skirt.

Splash!

The whole thing became frickin' soaked within seconds.

 "...well that didn't work."

So I just let my entire being sink under the water.

Being underwater was nothing strange and I feel the familiar rippling of waves all around me. It was more vigorous than usual though, kinda disorientating, a stark contrast to the calm lake I am used to. Gotta be more alert for crocodiles or any other river threats...it was a little harder to tell.

Down the river.

Not wanting to waste my energy, I swim down to the river bed at a normal speed, without controlling too much of the water around me. It got murkier and darker the more I went, the weight on my lungs getting more heavier than I liked. Weird. Are rivers supposed to be this deep? Is pressure supposed to change this fast?

I bring out a small stone, wrote the 'Light' Enchantment on it and poured Arcane into it. After a while, my surroundings lit up, a small sphere of light and clear sight within dark waters. The riverbed was right underneath my feet, toes brushing mud. I could see a few algae and kelp, but nothing special.

The light dies out as the small stone disintegrates.

So...I'm down of the down-est. What do I do now?

I close my eyes, trying to sense the currents for something, anything. Maybe Shadow left a clue somewhere? Reaching my mind and spreading a web of senses within the water, I search.

And found a spot where water was rushing way faster and more powerful than normal.

I swim towards it, stopping right in front before pulling out another stone to light it up so I could see.

What greeted me was an extremely, heavily rusted metal grate. Great. Now what? Can I bust it down?

The answer, to no one's surprise, was yes. The edges ripped free, from the walls where they were bolted into, extremely easily. It was made easier by my rage because I could have escaped this entire time but hbfijadnjndksn.

After making a tear big enough for me to fit in, I slip through and continue downstream. After a while, the waves just carried me and I didn't have to swim at all, getting stronger and stronger. A good thing, since I can recover my spent energy. Would definitely need it for running the hell out of here later.

Orange and gold started to dye the water so I got ready. Sunset already, and I haven't even got out! Please don't let the security be too tight! 

Woosh!

The darkening sky greets me as I was shoved out of the pipe-

Finally!

-only to find myself free falling the next second, plunging into rocky depths along with the waterfall.

Everything went dark before I had a chance to curse fuck.