XII: Shelter

Lillian's POV

I took a deep breath. To say I was hesitant to enter this place was an understatement. 

What were the chances a farmstead as large as this existed in the middle of a forest? It may be a few days ride to my village, Mistral, but I had no idea this farm existed. Surely this place would be supplying produce to us, being so close.

And yet, I've never heard of it, despite having worked at pretty much every stall in the market.

"What are you waiting for?"

"E-eh?" I turned towards the girl behind me, an annoyed expression plastered across her pretty face. She looked like she was about to kill someone. 

"If you aren't going to knock-"

"I will! Just give me a moment!"

"Hurry it up then! I'm tired!" She snapped at me. 

I was about to snap back, but stopped myself. We were both tired, having travelled far and for a long time, following the path of lighted papers. The Voice had told me that if I followed, I'd be at a safe place. I didn't know who it was, but I feel no hostility from it.

So I trusted it and ended up here.

I knocked on the door lightly.

I'll just trust it all the way.

I was surprised to see an old lady opening the door.

What happened next was a little bit of a blur, my mind too tired to register anything other than the fact of needing sleep. I briefly explained what had happened and it seemed that it was quite pitiable, because the old couple took us in.

Looks like my worries were for nothing.

Before we went in, the girl that was behind me gave the old couple one of her jewel earrings, one that she said was fake. I highly doubted that- having worked at a jeweller before I had acquired some appraisal skills- and it was obvious from the shine and size that it was extremely valuable. "For lodging." She explained simply. The two elderly looked taken aback, accepting it nonetheless, before leading us to a small but cozy room to rest.

I'm pretty sure they were like me when I first met her, thinking that she was a Demon.

No one else had black hair, except for sick and weak Infecteds or those of the secretive House Nebulae clans.

Grandma Dorothy- as the old lady introduced herself as- gave us some stuff, including a set of clothes each before she left. Not even bothering to help me, the first thing my lovely companion did was take a shower. Didn't even bother asking me, how rude. Instead of dwelling on it, I busied myself with the things given: A bed cover, two extra thick quilts, perfect for the cold night, and two pillows setting up the bed...

Wait, there was only one bed?

Just as I realised that, she came out of the shower. That was quick. With a brief "Your turn.", she flumped onto the bed. It didn't look like she was going to move anytime soon.

Guess I knew where I was sleeping tonight.

Really, this girl! Who does she think she is? Some young mistress?

I sighed. Actually, seeing the jewellery she wore, it is possible that she was a young mistress from a rich family.

I entered the bathroom, expecting the hot water kettle we were given to be completely emptied (Everyone knew rich people loved their hot-warm baths), but to my surprise, it was the complete opposite. I stared at the almost full kettle. She did not use any at all?