XVIII: Companion Pt.1

NO!

Without thinking, my body moved- a hand sweeping out towards the arrow. There was force from behind me and bright gold light, then right in front of my eyes, a huge wave roared past... but it didn't knock the arrow away.

Because it was stopped in midair already.

I quickly yanked Lillian up with all my strength, both of us toppling on the deck behind a brown cloaked figure. The person's hand is outstretched, air rippling and swirling around him like a miniature cyclone.

"Are the both of you alright?" The cloaked person asks, his question so soft I almost couldn't hear him amidst the whistling of wind.

"Yes, we are." Lillian stands and bows her head. "Thank you for helping us."

"N-no need for that!" The soft voice became louder, clearly startled. Then, the next sentence was soft again as he mumbles. "You helped me before after all..."

I stayed put and sat where I was. They know each other?

A wind user that the Heroine helps in town...

Seeing strands of green hair, I was struck with the answer.

Ah.

The Elven Prince, Lanre Naveen.

Lillian's rightful first companion.

Thank goodness they still managed to meet. I didn't deviate the plot further...

Watching as the two exchange pleasantries -even when people behind them were busy fending off the arrow storm that descended on the ship- and defending themselves effortlessly at the same time...I slowly backed away to find shelter in a cabin or something. I wouldn't be of use anywhere else either way.

...they seem to have an even better relationship. Do I get extra points?

XX

Having safely defended against the sudden arrow ambush, the large ship sailed smoothly afterwards. I had hidden in the most private cabin I could find and claimed it for my own, even if it was for two people (there were no one-person cabin unfortunately). First come first serve after all.

Looking out of the small circular window, it was now nighttime.

Leaning my head against the cool, wooden wall of the ship, only a small bit of the outside world could be seen now- the sea below lit up slightly by the flames on the ship. Further out, the water was as dark as the sky, both mirroring each other's inky blackness. It reminded me of the void I was in when I had died, and peace settled at the bottom of my heart as I stared. Back in the wilderness, it had also been this dark, and I had also stared at it, but I was more paranoid that some beast is going to jump at me from it.

Could I finally say I'm safe?

"Miss!"

...I spoke too soon.

Using the wall to push myself off the table, I sighed as I walked towards the door. Seriously how did she find me? I disappeared when they were busy, how did she know where I was? It's not like I went into the first cabin I saw- I went scouring for the corner cabin I was in now!

I stopped.

Exactly...there was no way.

"Miss!"

...She's calling blindly?

"I know you're in here!"

Then knock.

I jumped when there were actually knocks on my door.