On Arraxus: Elements and Magic Usage Laws

Elements can be used by the common people, because their Affinities don't tend to be high and don't do much damage. However, there are laws that prevent the use of magic to harm people or destroy property. (Of course, not everyone follows)

Elements can also be used for self-defense, and to one's benefit in business as well.

So...when Camellia ignited lightning in her palms to threaten the guards, wouldn't she go to jail for it?

If she was a common citizen, yes. But her borrowed identity, Melody Cassoniva, is a) a Noble and b) a Heroine. Those with noble status or positions can use their Elements as they please because they were deemed to be fit to do so.

Unfair? Yeah. But if a noble were discovered to have misused their power, they would be stripped of the title and status. 

(And no, skipping the queue is not considered serious enough to warrant that sort of punishment.)

Magic, however, cannot be used without permission- only on specific premises (such as training grounds or Arraxus Magic Academy) can it be used freely without supervision. Even nobles can't use them as they please.

Only royalty and direct descendants of the Pillar houses can. And those approved by them (they carry around a special seal of approval). It is hard to get approved, because the House that back the person up will get dragged down along with the person should they have bad intentions.

Anyways, even if you are a noble, it is not guaranteed that you'd be able to learn and use magic in the first place. You need to have high affinity to even do magic in the first place.

Camellia:  Well guess who has low affinity. Me! Ain't that just great? What am I going to the Academy for if I can't become the top student there!

X: ...since when were you a top student.

Camellia: I only lag behind him by one point! ONE!

X: Still not the top student.

Camellia: Damn him, and damn you-

X: I'm sorry did you just cuss at me? 

Camellia:  ...no.

X: You better not, or I'll make your life even harder.

Camellia: ... *leaves*

(More details on magic later XD)