Chapter 1

Kai's POV

"Jaden hurry up!" I whisper loudly while hiding behind a tree, watching my friend trip over a pile of leaves.

"Ugh" she groans in frustration, pointing to what looks like a stone trail after attempting to clean her legs from the dirt, "I'll follow you"

"Oh, I thought you were the one that knew where we're going" I say sarcastically, turning around and testing the trail's stability before actually stepping on it.

"I do! Brett told me there would be only one stone trail before some fancy neighborhood. This is it"

I roll my eyes and don't respond, securing the backpack tightly around my shoulders and admiring the tall trees that surround us as we walk a bit faster.

It had been a while since the both of us had been outdoors, not being able to properly enjoy nature inside that hell-hole. I was convinced this was one of the best decisions we had ever made despite all the hustle we already knew would be going through.

As we approach what seems to be the end of the path, I spot at least 5 big, modern houses which are nicely designed, with spacious front porches and colorful flowers bordering most of them. I can't help but notice that none of the owners appear to be home except for one house, which is in the opposite direction from us and has loud music playing inside.

"See? I told you" Jaden says and stretches her arms, following my gaze which is fixed on the obnoxious house.

"You know what? I think we could stop for a bit. I'm sure the owners wouldn't mind" she half smiles and starts walking towards it, only stopping when I stomp my foot on the ground.

"Not now Jaden" I hiss and point at the tiny chip in my shoulder, which she also has but in her leg, "we gotta get these out before they find us"

She sighs and walks over to me again, grabbing my shoulders.

"I got it all figured out" she hugs me and I visibly relax; knowing she'd probably convince me like old times. "We've got two more days to do that, okay? Plus, I'm thirsty!"

I glare at her and put the backpack on the ground, opening it to grab something nicer to change into. Jaden seems to notice and squeals when I hand her her favorite black dress along with some sneakers; and I grab the same set for myself but in burgundy.

We didn't have similar tastes at all, but we'd gotten the opportunity to get a hold of these dresses back in the day when things weren't so complicated. At least they would make us look a bit more presentable, even though our legs were covered in dirt.

"Dude, the memories I have in this dress" she smiles and walks behind a bush to change, me doing the same.

"Yeah it's been a while, huh?" I laugh, adjusting the straps and grabbing our previous outfits to put them back in the bag; throwing it over my shoulders once again.

Jaden looks at me one more time and grabs my hand, dragging me to the entrance. I quickly notice how the front door is wide open and some people I have never seen before are either sitting on the grass or drinking like there is no tomorrow.

I let her push me inside but stop dead in my tracks to admire how beautiful this house is. The kitchen has marble flooring and white countertops, a few people sitting either on them or on some navy blue chairs with beers in hand. The living room is packed, full of drunk teenagers grinding against one another, colored lights flashing on their bodies. Definitely not the type of party I was expecting.

I turn around after a couple of minutes and sigh once I realize that Jaden is far gone, but decide not to panic over it. I'd find her eventually.

Right as I'm about to go to the kitchen to grab something to drink, I feel a warm hand touch my shoulder, making me look up. All the hope I had for it to be Jaden soon flies out the window when I'm met with a pair of hazel eyes.