Chapter 13

tw// please do not read this chapter if any of the following trigger you:
mention of abuse, panic attacks, sharp objects.

Kai's POV

I feel my mind spinning as I look around and become aware of my surroundings. I blink a couple times because there's no way I am back here, but apparently I am wrong.

I try to move my legs but they're asleep, which makes my hands shake with frustration. I look around once again but I can't spot Jaden and it makes me wonder if she's out there or even alive at all.

I try to warm my hands up because it's getting colder and colder but I realize both of them are tied to the bed. That's when actual panic sets in and I start to move frantically, thousands of possible escape plans going through my mind.

This couldn't be possible, I escaped this hell hole. I did, I remember. It's like I almost forgot what happened after too, I don't think I remember that well anyway.

Is this real?

I squeeze my eyes shut, hoping that I will magically appear somewhere else but no. I am still in this nightmare of a place.

"Jaden?" I call out, waiting for her to jump out of god knows where to tell me this is a sick prank. But no, nothing.

I hear the doorknob rattle and my heart sinks, eyes instantly clouding with tears. I already know how this is going to go so I lay down and face away from who I imagine will now walk in, closing my mouth shut to prevent any sobs from coming out.

The sound of delicate footsteps and that horrible hospital cart fill the room, and I can't help but hold onto the sheets for comfort.

"Let's check your vitals" Nancy whispers eerily and I shiver, suddenly feeling sick to my stomach.

She walks closer to me and hums while looking at the monitor, which beeps every time my heart beats. She scribbles something down and touches my arm slightly, cold fingers wrapping around my skin.

"Wake up" she orders loudly, now shaking my shoulders.

I try to act cranky and groan, opening one eye and looking in her direction. I hold in my breath when I see her bony face, accidentally scooting away as soon as she tries to touch me once more. Her lips curve into the most sinister smile I have ever seen and she grabs my wrist, twisting it.

"Stop" I struggle against her grip, wincing when the pain gets worse. I watch her other hand sneak into the cart that was right behind her and she grabs a thick needle filled with thick, white liquid.

"No I didn't do anything" I cry out but she shushes me, tying my ankles now. I try to fight against the restraints like it's going to do anything but it only makes her more mad.

"Now you'll feel a light pinch"

"No please, where is-"

"Wake up!" someone slaps my forehead and I gasp, grabbing onto them for dear life. I look up and see Jaden staring at me with a confused face. "What the hell were you dreaming about?"

"I- I was back at the institute and you weren't there and Nancy drugged me and-" I stop to cough in the middle of my sentence and Jaden sighs, wrapping her arm around my shoulders.