Chapter 3

Kai's POV

When Jaden told me that the apartment was pretty close to us I chose to ignore her considering she was still pretty drunk and not being reasonable, but she was right. Not only were we closer than I expected, but literally not more than 3 blocks away from Jax's house.

The apartment was nice and modern, with a spacious kitchen and only one bedroom meaning we'd have to share, but that wouldn't be a problem for us; we'd been roommates for quite some time now. I had no idea how Jaden arranged everything to be so clean and the apartment to come already equipped, but I guess that was a plus.

We'd had enough time to shower and get the bed ready before crashing until later today, when both of us woke up with an awful headache. Thankfully, the only thing we had to do was go grocery shopping, which went by pretty smoothly.

During our late lunch-dinner, Jaden seems to remember everything that happened last night as well as Jax's caring personality, which she hasn't been able to stop talking about since I brought it up. While I pretend to be listening, my mind drifts off to the pair of ocean eyes I couldn't stop staring at yesterday.

The more I think about Billie, the more it seems almost impossible to get her out of my mind. I doubt I'll ever see her again, but there's something about that girl that makes her different from everyone else.

"Kai! Are you even listening?" Jaden interrupts my train of thought, groaning in annoyance.

"Sorry, I zoned out" I sigh, standing up and making my way to the kitchen to wash both our dishes, "what were you saying?"

"I was telling you about this thing Jax invited me to tonight"

"What thing?" I ask, furrowing my brows.

Whenever Jaden says 'thing', it usually means some kind of wild party full of sex animals and crazy teenagers. Don't get me wrong, I used to love going to those every single day, but I'm not trying to slip into old habits.

"It won't be as crazy as yesterday" she says casually as she sits on one of the stools next to the island counter in front of me, her body facing my way.

"Look Jaden, you can hang out with him whenever you want, okay? I'm not stopping you" I try to explain, drying my wet hands on a washcloth. "But we can't go back to how we were. We promised each other that that wouldn't be an option, remember?"

"Please" she begs quietly, looking into my eyes, "this will be the last one, I promise! I won't drink or anything"

"Have you told Jax about the pills?" I ask, sitting down next to her.

"I couldn't bring myself to do it" she mumbles, looking down to the floor. I can tell she's embarrassed about the whole situation so I stand up and hug her, stroking her back.

Jaden has a condition called ASD, which basically means that she was born with tiny hole in her heart. People with that deficiency face the possibility of that hole either shrinking or growing throughout the years.

Unfortunately, hers got bigger. Meaning that whenever she's feeling stressed or anxious her heart doesn't pump enough blood, causing migraines that can lead to potential heart or brain failure without medication. Being her friend for many years, I've learned to help her in different ways and know when something's wrong.

"I know this is hard for you Jay" I say softly against her shoulder, "It's okay if you don't wanna tell him, but I think he deserves to know"

"I'll do it today" she backs up and meets my gaze again, "please?"

"Looking for new ways to convince me?" I chuckle, raising my eyebrows in amusement. "Okay fine"

"Yay! Thank you" she jumps excitedly, running into our room to what I suppose is plan her outfit for tonight.