Chapter 4

Kai's POV

I look over at Jaden, who's looking at me with panic in her eyes and pat her knee reassuringly, taping the wound carefully before going up to Rory and closing the door behind us, leaving Jaden in the bathroom.

"So?" Rory looks at me, clearly waiting for an explanation. I try to calm myself down and think of a reasonable answer, one that won't make us look crazy.

"Look, I'll explain everything later, but you gotta help us do something first"

"I can't do that if you don't tell me what's going on Kai" Rory shakes her head, leaning against the wall.

I take a couple of seconds to reply, sighing tiredly.

"Remember when I told you I'd been running for a while?" I ask, to which she nods. "We escaped from a Sicilian boarding school, and the people that work there track everyone that comes in to prevent them from running away. We were about to get rid of those things when you came in"

She didn't even flinch once while I was telling her part of the story, which surprised me. I was expecting her to call Jax to kick us out but she looked pretty calm; like hearing these type of things was normal for her.

"Do you know where they are now?"

"Yeah, they were at our apartment, that's why we came back here"

"I know someone who can go check it out to see if they're gone, but you can't go back there, you know that right?"

I nod and after giving her the address she opens the bathroom's door again, letting Jaden know that she can come out now.

"Can I have the trackers?" Rory holds her hand out expectantly, thanking Jaden and putting them in her pockets. "I'll get rid of them. Nobody will come here to take you, trust me. I'll be right back"

I nod and sit on the bed while watching Jaden sit with her back against the wall.

I still don't understand how Rory is okay with this; I have no doubt that she'll ask more questions later. That didn't really matter to me though, both Jaden and I are already too deep in this mess to care and all I can think about is where we're gonna go next. Something tells me that staying here isn't the best option, but if we don't find any other alternative then I guess that's what we'll have to do.

"How can you be so calm? God, we're so screwed" Jaden says while pulling her hair out, a nervous habit she's had since she was little.

"Calm? I'm anything but calm Jay" I admit, looking at the clock on the wall. 12:27 a.m.

Damn, I hadn't realized we'd been here for that long.

"What am I supposed to tell Jax?" She huffs, her voice wavering slightly.

"Don't worry, I'll do the talking. Honestly, Rory already kind of knows what went down, so I won't be able to come up with a different story. I'm sure Jax will understand though"

"You told her? What the fuck?" She raises her voice, looking at me with a puzzled expression.

"What was I supposed to do, huh? She saw me taking a tracker out of your leg; what kind of logical answer was I supposed to give her instead?"

"I don't fucking know" she puts her arms up, shrugging, "you should've known better"

"Instead of thanking me for saving your ass, you're scolding me? What are you? My mom?" I shake my head in disbelief, not daring to look at her face.

It's pretty obvious both of us are pissed right now, but that doesn't give her the right to act up like that. I'm almost 100% sure she knows I was just trying to help, and fighting over stuff like this won't help our situation at all.