Chapter 12

Kai's POV

"What about Chick-fil-a?" The dreamy thought of a good chicken sandwich fills my mind as the trees seem to get smaller and smaller behind us.

We had been driving for a couple minutes now, trying to decide what to eat between deals. It felt nice in a way cause we got to spend more time together and I couldn't complain about that.

"Yeah sounds good" Billie nods, making a turn. "So I was thinking, this next kid is pretty nice. I think you can handle him"

"Me? Alone?" I furrow my brows, trying to process what she just said.

"Yeah, what's wrong with that?"

"Billie, I don't know how to do this" I say, looking at her in confusion. "I thought you said it wasn't safe for me to do it alone"

"I changed my mind, not with this kid" She shakes her head, driving to the three car line in front of us. "He's great honestly, he's friendly. Might be zooted but you're good"

"Billie are you serious? I don't even have anything on me to defend myself"

"You won't need it anyway. Just do as I say" she looks at me daringly and I shake my head, focusing on the big menu display.

"You're being ridiculous" I whisper and she laughs, resting her hand on my knee.

"You better get used to it" she squeezes and I roll my eyes, not saying anything else. "Spicy chicken sandwich?"

I nod and she rolls down her window, getting ready to order. Once we have our food we drive off and get back on the road again, letting some fresh air in.

"Name's Quinn, it's gonna be quick"

"Why can't you do it?" I hand her her sandwich half unwrapped and she takes a bite, moaning annoyingly. "It's not funny"

"Cause I'm tired of seeing his face. He's too young for this shit and it frustrates me"

"You're young and you've done it before"

"Not the same thing" she shakes her head and takes another bite. "Do it and stop complaining"

"Now you're being rude" she sighs and grabs her phone, putting on some music. I open my mouth in disbelief and grab mine, texting Rory what just happened.

I let my phone rest on my lap and grab my sandwich,  dipping it in some ranch. My phone dings and I see Rory's reply:

"lmao she can be such a bitch sometimes. quinn's not scary tho, you're good"

I read it and keep on eating, lifting my head up to see Billie munching on some fries while singing along.

"So who was that?" She stops to ask and I notice a complete different area to the one we were previously at.

"What do you mean?"

"You got a text"

"Oh yeah, Rory" I set eyes on a rather rundown gas station and mentally prepare myself for whatever's about to happen.

"Hm. So you'll have to walk in and you'll see this bald guy, Donny. Just ask for Quinn and he'll guide you"

"Got it" she parks right next to the shop's entrance and I grab the small backpack, closing the door behind me.

I walk in and take a couple minutes to walk through the isles, grabbing a couple snacks for hopefully later at night. I spot "Donny" next to some cereal boxes, talking to himself while rearranging some items.