Chapter 5

Kai's POV

There's no doubt that staying at Jax's has been one hell of a rollercoaster.

You'd think that because we've only been here for a week there's no way I could say that; but the things I've seen made me realize that there's definitely something going on. Something that only I had been able to pick up on since Jaden couldn't seem to pay attention to anything else but Jax.

For starters, ever since we settled in, both Billie and Seven always seem to be running 'errands' according to Jax and Rory; which doesn't end up sounding as convincing when you see them come back with either duffel bags or pockets full of money. Even when Billie's home she's on her phone most of the time, not really paying attention to what's happening around her.

I do think she's feeling a bit better though, at least it seems like she is. Some of her bruises have faded and she looks somewhat happier than the first time we met. But I'm not sure how long that will last cause Seven has been all over her since yesterday.

I don't know what happened between them but it can't be good because whenever Seven attempts to touch her in any type of way, she tries to get out of the situation as quickly and discreetly as possible.

I know that gaining her trust won't be easy, but seeing him all over her makes me want to just drop everything and hug her, but that's clearly not going to work.

Ever since the 'argument' I had with Rory, she's been a bit more distant with me, which has made my plan harder to execute. Despite that, I've tried to talk to her about the Seven situation again, hoping I'd get some type of answer, but every time I find the courage to confront her Billie interrupts us. That doesn't mean I'll stop trying, but it somehow feels like I'm running in circles, and it's making my head hurt.

Not only that but I still haven't found the right moment to talk to Jaden about any of this. Sure, we share rooms and tell each other everything but for the past couple of days she's been staying with Jax, and considering how happy she's been, telling her would only make her worry and I don't want that.

I'd promised myself I'd find out everything first cause I'm not dragging her into whatever this is. It will make things harder and having come to the conclusion that we'll probably be staying here for a while, there's no point in sharing until I'm certain.

Surprisingly, today's felt quieter than usual.

It's not like Jax invites crazy teenagers to get drunk and hook up with every single day, but there's usually a lot of movement inside and outside the house. But when I woke up at around midday and went downstairs, all the lights were turned off but the one in the living room, where Jaden was sitting on the couch with a bowl of cereal in her hands.

"Morning" she smiles after swallowing a spoonful, patting the spot next to her, "come sit?"

"It's 12 Jay" I chuckle, pointing to her apparent 'breakfast' and sitting down, "shouldn't you be eating an actual meal?"

"I guess, but-" she mumbles while chewing loudly, making me furrow my brows in disgust, "this is so easy to make and it tastes better"

I shake my head and ruffle her hair, standing back up to find something to eat for myself. I head to the kitchen and turn on the lights, going straight to the fridge to see if there're any leftovers from last night. Luckily, there're some slices of pizza which I heat up and put on a plate, before going back to the living room.

"Where's everyone anyway?" I ask as I stretch my legs and put them on top of the coffee table, taking some bites of the delicious pepperoni pizza.

"Who knows?" she shrugs, "Jax told me they'd be back soon"

"Don't you think that's strange? How they always seem to be doing something but never tell you what it is?" I face her with a questioning look, which makes her sigh.