Chapter 15 - Answers

Lily Woodwords

Carter clutched to my hand tightly. His eyes no longer were soft and filled with fun. Actually, his eyes were blazing with fury.

Carter's mood went from happy to angry in a single glance of this woman. There were two women standing in front of us actually big Carter was staring at only one of them. She was an old lady who must be around her late 50s. She had blue eyes, which were very similar to Carter's and had brunette hair. The other one would not be more than 23 or 25. She had beautiful blonde hair which were curled to perfection falling on her shoulders effortlessly and had striking green eyes. She was quite tall. An inch taller than me I think. There were many questions swimming in my mind right now, to be honest. Who were they? Why were they here? Do the rest of the members of the house know them? What did they want from us? Why are tears welling up in the older lady's eyes? Why were her eyes similar to Carter's? Why was Carter angry? There were several other questions in my mind which I have to have answers to.

Carter and the older lady stared at each other and the silence in the room was too heavy to bear. Everyone were already standing and the tension in the room could have been cut with a knife.

I don't know who this women are or what they want but one thing is for sure, something is wrong.

"Carter." The older lady broke the silence after what felt like an hour.

She walked towards him and hugged him tightly. Carter didn't say anything or didn't respond at first. He clutched to my hand a little tightly and awkwardly patted the lady's shoulder after a minute.

The lady broke down in tears and started crying really bad. She pulled away and cupped Carter's face. She eyed Carter from head to toe and smiled a sincere smile.

"You have grown." She said wiping her tears.

"After 15 years you've seen me." Carter said in a flat voice devoid of any emotions.

"I have an explanation for that. Actually, 15 years ago when..." She started speaking while Carter cut her off.

"I don't want to know. At least not now. This is my house you may stay here till you want but we will talk about this later." Carter finished and looked down at me. Even though I was very confused I gave him a small encouraging smile.

"Will you not introduce me to your girlfriend?" She said looking at me.

"She's not my girlfriend...." This time the lady cut Carter off.

"Then who is she? Why are you holding her hand like this? What is she doing in your house?" She completed and looked at Carter for answers.

"She's my wife." Carter said leaving my hand and wrapping it around my waist. The lady's face changed from happy to mean. Why would she have a problem with me being his wife?

"Lily Woodwords." I said giving her a smile nevertheless.

"Love, this is my mother, Linda Woodwords." Carter said and she hugged me giving me a smiled which seemed forced.

I didn't bother it very much for I was stuck at a single word,

MOTHER?

.
.
.
.

I am in the kitchen currently. I am making coffee for me and Carter. Yesterday, night after the awkward encounter with Carter's mother, Linda or mother as she likes me calling her, we haven't talked about her. The other girl's name is Rachel Blossom. We haven't talked much but she seems nice. I purposely didn't talk about the matter yesterday night because I wanted to give him some time to digest the fact that her mother has knocked on his door after 15 years out of nowhere. It's a sore topic for him and so I haven't asked him about his mom ever since he told me that while we were on our honeymoon.

He was in our room working on some files. I kept the plate of toast on the tray along with our coffee and took it to our room.

He was seated on the couch working on some files as I mentioned. As he heard the voice of the door he looked up at me and gave me a smile.

I placed the tray on the coffee table and gently took the file from his hands.

He smiled at my actions and said : "What is my Flower up to?" I kept the files aside and he pulled me into his lap.

I gladly wrapped my hands around his neck. He kept his on my waist tightly.

"You haven't had breakfast so I made some toasts and coffee for you." He nodded and I took his coffee from the tray and handed it to him. He, like a typical CEO, likes to have black coffee but I like mine with a some milk.

He took a sip and furrowed his eyebrows.

"What happened? Isn't it nice?" I asked as he got my full attention.

"Have you put sugar in it?"

"Yes I did." I clearly remember putting a cube of sugar in it.

He lifted the cup to my lips and I tasted the coffee. It did taste sweet, just like he likes.

He again took a sip and smiled at me.

"Now, it is sweet that my wife has already tasted it." He winked at me and I blushed lightly.

"Look at the big bad Carter Woodwords being all cheesy." I said and took a sip of my own coffee.

"And look at the sweet innocent Lily Woodwords being all sassy." He smartly replied and we ended up laughing.

We had breakfast with some little chat and feeding each other some toasts.

After we were done with our breakfast.

I turned towards him seriously and looked into his eyes sincerely.

"I know it's a sour topic for you, but I really want to know what happened 15 years ago. Only if you are willing to tell me." I said holding his hands.

"I will. You have all the right to know." He said and took a deep breath.

Finally. I'll get answers to my questions.