Chapter 22

It was weekend and I had nothing to do. I was so bored in my apartment. Ughhh!

Fine, I decided, I'll go shopping.

So I dressed up, grabbed my wallet and went to the nearest mall.

Hmmm, I mused, A nice pair of new shoes would be good.

I entered a shop and began to look at the various shoes on sale. I was just about to pick up a black leather shoe when something collided with my leg. I looked down in surprise and noticed a five year old girl.

"So - sorry", she muttered in a cute baby voice.

"It's perfectly fine, sweetie", I smiled and couldn't help picking her up in my arms. She didn't protest. Just then I heard a deep voice calling out, "Gwen! Where are you, princess? Gwen?"

"Daddy!", the girl in my arms giggled and a man, her father, came into view. He was handsome fellow, muscular and tanned, and something about him was very familiar. And of course, it took no time to recognise him.

"Xavier", I whispered in shock. My throat tightened and a knot formed in my stomach.

"E - Ethan?", he gasped, equally shocked.

I handed him his daughter and then silence took over. It was so awkward. None of us had anything to speak.

"So...your daughter, eh?", I asked casually at last. "Ya", he muttered. I was startled to feel a jolt of pain my heart. Old habits die hard, I guess. "And how's Amy?", I asked.

"She died while giving birth."

"What?!", I gasped in shock. "I - I'm so sorry. What about Gwen?"

"I've been raising her alone."

"Oh god! It must be so difficult for you!"

"Ummm, yeah. Sometimes. "

"Have you...have you ever thought of remarrying?"

"I've considered it for Gwen's sake, but nah! What about you? Still single?"

"Yeah...single as always."

"You weren't always single."

An awkward silence followed. Both of us knew what had happened all those years ago.

"Ummm...why don't you and Gwen come to my house for lunch? We could catch up...I mean, if you want to."

"Yeah. That would be nice."

I hope I haven't made a mistake by inviting Xavier and Gwen to my house. It can't be bad, right?

Only one or two chapters left. Feeling lazy. Please do comment and vote. And if you have time then please do read my other stories (which are better, I swear!)Thanks. ♥