Chapter 47| Prefect

Previously on Welcome Back

After the cake, they all decided to play a bit of Quidditch before going to eat lunch. They stayed in the same teams and Harry's team won again! After Quidditch, they all ate and drank and by that time the other Weasleys had come and wished Harry and celebrated with him.

For Harry, this was the best birthday ever

—————————————————————————————————————

The weeks and months flew by and soon enough it was the time when the Hogwarts letters were sent. The letters came when everyone was in the drawing room and were playing board games besides Hermione who was in her room taking a shower.

Remus handed out the letters to everyone in accordance to their names besides Hermione whose owl just flew to her room.

The envelopes contained the usual Hogwarts seal and a letter informing them that the school requires their answer by the 10th of August. The date was a bit delayed because the letters were sent quite late.

"wow, we only have a week to reply this time," Ron remarked

"yea," Harry said and then returned to looking at the booklist.

"I wonder who the new DADA teacher is" Harry wondered

"I pretty sure Dumbledore had a tough time finding one, the job is jinxed, I'm pretty sure that it has been proven," Fred said

"One sacked, one dead, one's memory removed, and one locked in a trunk for nine months," said Harry, counting them off on his fingers. "Yeah, I see what you mean."

"What's up with you, Ron?" asked Fred with a touch of annoyance in his voice

Ron did not answer. Harry looked around. Ron was standing very still with his mouth slightly open, gaping at his letter from Hogwarts.

"What's the matter?" said Fred impatiently, moving around Ron to look over his shoulder at the parchment.

Fred's mouth fell open too.
"Prefect?" he said, staring incredulously at the letter.

"Prefect?"

George leapt forward, seized the envelope in Ron's other hand, and turned it upside down. Harry saw something scarlet and gold fall into George's palm.

"No way," said George in a hushed voice.

"There's been a mistake," said Fred, snatching the letter out of Ron's grasp and holding it up to the light as though checking for a watermark. "No one in their right mind would make Ron a prefect..."

The twins' heads turned in unison and both of them stared at Harry.

"We thought you were a cert!" said Fred in a tone that suggested Harry had tricked them in some way.

"We thought Dumbledore was bound to pick you!" said George indignantly.

"Yeah," said Fred slowly. "Yeah, you've caused too much trouble, mate. Well, at least one of you's got their priorities right."

He strode over to Harry and clapped him on the back while giving Ron a scathing look.

"Prefect ... ickle Ronnie the prefect ..."

"Oh, Mum's going to be revolting," groaned George, thrusting the prefect badge back at Ron as though it might contaminate him.

Ron, who still had not said a word, took the badge, stared at it for a moment, and then held it out to Harry as though asking mutely for confirmation that it was genuine. Harry took it. A large P was superimposed on the Gryffindor lion.

"Did you — did you get — ?"

She spotted the badge in Harry's hand and let out a shriek.

"I knew it!" she said excitedly, brandishing her letter. "Me too, Harry, me too!"

"No," said Harry quickly, pushing the badge back into Ron's hand. "It's Ron, not me."

"It — what?"
"Ron's prefect, not me," Harry said.

"Ron?" said Hermione, her jaw dropping. "But ... are you sure? I mean —"

She turned red as Ron looked around at her with a defiant expression on his face.

"It's my name on the letter," he said.

"I ..." said Hermione, looking thoroughly bewildered. "I ... well ... wow! Well done, Ron! That's really —"

"Unexpected," said George, nodding.

"No," said Hermione, blushing harder than ever, "no, it's not ... Ron's done loads of ... he's really ..."

Just then the floo roared and Mrs. Weasley came in.

"Sorry for coming unannounced" Mrs. Weasley apologized "I've heard that the owls had arrived and I had to come see my children."

"It's fine Molly" Lily said waving it off

Mrs. Weasley then turned to her children and immediately started planning their trip to Diagon Alley "We need to get a lot of things this year. Robes, potion ingredients, books, socks."

"Get him red and gold socks to match his badge," said George, smirking.

"His what?" Mrs. Weasley said distractedly still planning what her children would need

"His badge," said Fred, with the air of getting the worst over quickly. "His lovely shiny new prefect's badge."

Fred's words took a moment to penetrate Mrs. Weasley's preoccupation about shopping.

"His ... but ... Ron, you're not... ?"

Ron held up his badge.

Mrs. Weasley let out a shriek just like Hermione's.

"I don't believe it! I don't believe it! Oh, Ron, how wonderful! A prefect! That's everyone in the family!"

"What are Fred and I, next-door neighbors?" said George indignantly, as his mother pushed him aside and flung her arms around her youngest son.

"Wait until your father hears! Ron, I'm so proud of you, what wonderful news, you could end up Head Boy just like Bill and Percy, it's the first step! Oh, what a thing to happen in the middle of all this worry, I'm just thrilled, oh Ronnie —"

Fred and George were both making loud retching noises behind her back but Mrs. Weasley did not notice; arms tight around Ron's neck, she was kissing him all over his face, which had turned a brighter scarlet than his badge.

"Well, we have to get you a reward Ron, what will it be?" Mrs. Weasley asked her youngest son after everyone had congratulated him

"Mum, can I please have a new broom? Not an expensive one but a nice one for a change" Ron asked her shyly

"Of course you can. You can choose which one you would like when we all go to Diagon Alley. Lily said that we should all go, that you lot have been cooped up here all summer" Mrs. Weasley said happily.

After lunch, they all set out to Diagon Alley and got all of their school supplies.

Harry the whole day didn't feel jealous of Ron at all. Did he ask himself why he didn't get the badge? Of course, he did, but he honestly did feel happy for Ron, It would also be a confidence booster for him. Being an authority figure. Harry was just glad he didn't feel jealous because he would feel guilty as well

a/n: ok, ok, ok I heard you. Crappy chapter, most of it is taken from the Order of the Phoenix Ik, but I am traveling and u lot want chapter so yea. I really am sorry for these cruddy chapters I just don't have time. So if u still read or even enjoy these books, please tell me and also tell me what u want to see. Thank you so much for reading I really appreciate it.

VOTE

COMMENT

FOLLOW

LOVE U ALL!!!!