Chapter 31

***Scorpius's POV***

It felt good to be home. Despite the note, I wasn't worried that someone was going to jump out at any moment. I haven't talked to Al for a few weeks. He's been trying to message me through our notebooks but I hid it in a deep dark corner of my closet as to not be tempted. It wasn't fair to him but the note had terrified me and I was done being selfish.

I've been working with my parents on getting the list shortened but there wasn't much for me to do. Mum and Dad had to petition each suspect and give a good reason for investigating them. It was a long and tedious process and they've only ruled out a few people. The list was down to nine.

I had gotten a letter from Cath a few days ago. She wanted me to meet her mum. I had been trying to come up with a reason not to. I ought to tell her the truth at this point but the coward in me just wanted her to grow sick of me and break up with me so I didn't have to tell her the truth. Rose and Anna didn't even know the full truth unless Al told them. I don't think he would, at least until this was all over.

I walked down the stairs to see Anna sitting on the sofa with her parents and mine.

"Hey, Anna" I smiled.

Anna stood up when she saw me. "Scorp! Let's go for a walk."

I raise an eyebrow but followed her out the door. We walked in silence for a little while. I could tell that Anna had something on her mind but I waited for her to talk.

"Is it true?" She asked finally.

"Is what true?"

"I heard my parents talking about some kind of investigation that your parents are involved in. That werewolf attack wasn't just a freak accident was it?"

I swallowed and shook my head. "An enemy of my parents' has been threatening me."

"And Albus, right? The bludger and the stair incidents were because of this person."

"Yeah."

"That's why you broke up with him. To protect him."

I nodded.

"Does he know?"

"Yeah."

"And what's the deal with Cath? Why drag her into all this?"

"It was to keep Al away from me. I had to break his heart to keep him safe."

"But he knows now. Why keep dating Cath?"

"I got another threatening note before we left school and I was afraid that if I break up with her then they'll go after Al again."