Crumbling Holiday Spirits

With piles of clothes and several bags full of utensils scattered across the floor, Oliver fought his way into the bedroom and jumped from one empty spot on floor to the other. The sun went down quite a while ago and he couldn't bring himself to pack his suitcase for his flight back home until about an hour ago. Merely the thought of being stuffed in-between strangers for several hours once more sent chills down the blond's back, but he knew it couldn't be helped.

Fukase had more trouble accepting that there was not much time left for the two of them. He wanted to help Oliver pack his things at least but received orders to just sit down somewhere instead. While watching his lover slowly leave him, Fukase longed to reach for Oliver once more.

Just as Oliver passed Fukase another time, the redhead thawed from his frozen state and sighed impatiently. As soon as Oliver came to a halt, he reached out to pull the blond down on his lap. He received a chuckle in response when burying his head in his lover's neck. Oliver sat still for a few moments and intertwined their hands.

"Aw, baby, why are you so clingy? We'll get to see each other on Christmas again anyways."

Oliver turned around and leaned down, kissing the redhead on the nose. However, he quickly pulled away as soon as he noticed a pair of silent eyes staring up at him. The surprised look in his partner's face rang alarm bells inside of him.

"You didn't plan to come over during Christmas?"

Silence yet drowned the two of them. They shared a few more stares until a gulp broke through the tense atmosphere and Fukase blinked, still puzzled.

"I didn't know that you wanted me to come over."

Oliver jumped up from Fukase's lap and grunted, speechless at his lover's confession. He crossed his arms while waiting for the redhead to defend himself. However, Oliver was met with another episode of silence.

"What are you talking about? I've been speaking of it the past months. You can't just cancel plans like this."

"First off, I didn't promise anything," Fukase interrupted Oliver to save himself from the situation somehow, but found himself back in a dead-end quickly enough. An uneasy chuckle escaped his dry throat and he scratched the back of his bruised hand. "and...I'm sorry but I can't come. I finally got an appointment scheduled for that agency I told you about."

Oliver frowned and looked back at the suitcase lying on the floor next to him. The yet empty state of it didn't unsettle him anymore. Rather, it made him feel nauseous, knowing that this argument wouldn't settle anytime soon and he had to fly back home tomorrow.

He turned back to Fukase who had not moved an inch yet. He continued to stare back at the blond, uncertain of how to react without making the situation even worse. Unsure of how to act himself, Oliver sighed disappointed and lowered his gaze again.

"I didn't expect the appointment to be on a day such as Christmas."

Fukase shrugged his shoulders and sighed as well. "It's just not much of a big deal here in Japan."

"It's a big deal for me though." Oliver reached out for Fukase's shirt and rearranged the wrongly buttoned neck part. Fukase chuckled to find his boyfriend's urge to fix things even in situations like these, however, he quickly dropped his attempt to lighten up the mood as Oliver casted a sharp glance at him. The blond fiddled with the ends of Fukase's shirt, whining to himself a little more before looking back up in Fukase's eyes, frowning pained. "I can't believe you didn't think of spending Christmas together."

Fukase took Oliver's hands in his and pulled him back to his lap. The blond cooperated only reluctantly and grunted discontent.

"I mean, you can come over. Yohio, too. I'm sure he won't mind."

"But I want to spend it with my parents as well. Unlike yours, we still have something such as a family bond," Oliver spat out and immediately received an irritated huff in response.

"Wow, you didn't have to open that kind of wound." Fukase let go of Oliver's hands and raised an eyebrow, both surprised and irritated to find his lover attacking him like that again. He shifted back, signaling Oliver to get off but the blond immediately swung his arms around the redhead's neck.

"Okay, listen baby, that was wrong of me. I'm sorry." Oliver kissed Fukase's forehead but received no reaction to it. Knowing he went too far this time, the blond frowned apologetic and waited for Fukase to listen to him again. "But I don't want to spend Christmas without my family."

"Then stay at home. I have no problem with that." 

Fukase sounded unusually collected, throwing off the blond with the sudden change in behavior. Either way, that answer left Oliver rather unsatisfied. He slowly shook his head, lowering his gaze once again.

"You're part of the family too though."

"Oliver, I can't cancel this now. If I don't take this opportunity, then I might never hear from them ever again."

Oliver didn't respond and merely nodded his head, signaling he understood. After a few seconds, the blond got off Fukase without any further words and continued packing quietly. Fukase stared at Oliver in disbelief but decided to not say anything. Oliver's body language signaled him well enough that this was not the time for it yet.