Crumbling Holiday Spirits Part 2

Even though I didn't officially announce it, I had actually planned a continuation of the first part. It took me a few months to finish it but I'd say better late than never, no? I hope you enjoy it regardless of the poor timing! 

_____________

Checking the time on his phone once more, Oliver noticed that dinner was about to be ready any minute. Especially his father was quite picky with sticking to family traditions, and one of those was to end the evening with their well-known dinner at the exact right time.

Usually Oliver would be in the kitchen at this point, helplessly standing around, fidgeting with a few dishes and then being thrown out by his parents, but he didn't have the energy to at least offer the gesture. He had already woken up worn out after he barely managed to shut an eye at the thought of steering towards this dreaded day.

Oliver usually loved Christmas, but he loved spending it with Fukase even more. Unfortunately, the redhead stuck to his words and chose work over coming over to England. During the first days after their argument, Oliver had been seething with rage, but he has calmed down by now. He knew and understood that in this industry the redhead couldn't do as he pleased, and he had to accept it if he still wanted to be with Fukase. At this point, he wasn't even upset anymore, but it merely left him with other bittersweet emotions to deal with.

The entire day felt as if something essential was missing and the blond managed to put his thoughts aside only with great effort. He was convinced that this was going to be a long evening for him, but he merely gritted his teeth and sighed about it.

Oliver looked up as he found his parents walking out of the kitchen eventually, both with the several side dishes in their hands. Asking for their children to help them carrying everything to the dining table in the living room, Oliver and Yohio quickly dropped whatever they were busy with and did as told before they would receive nagging from their parents.

For a moment, the blond has actually suppressed what was bothering him as he helped setting the table and sit down with his family, starting the last stage of their Christmas tradition. However, this relief of mind didn't last for long.

As they were sitting on the table all together and chattering merrily while eating, Oliver's thoughts kept shifting back to Fukase. His smile faded as he recalled last Christmas, with his partner sitting next to him, talking the most out of everyone, teasing him in front of his parents, but dragging a smile out of the blond nonetheless. The chair next to him was empty now and he nagged at himself to not have carried it somewhere else.

"Oliver, is something wrong?" his mother spoke up, dragging him out of his thoughts. Oliver needed a few seconds to find back into the present but nodded eventually.

"You're thinking about Fukase, aren't you?"

Oliver gulped and looked down on his plate. Compared to the rest of the family, he barely touched his food. Upset to find himself so distracted, Oliver sighed internally. He didn't want to ruin the evening for himself nor the others, but he couldn't focus.

"Nah, don't be down because of something like that. We wouldn't want to see your disgusting lovey-dovey behavior anyways," Yohio scoffed and took another bite of his dinner. Oliver rolled his eyes and smirked. "Yeah, right. So you and your girlfriend are not that way?"

"Oh baby, I haven't seen you an entire day. I can't stand it anymore. I need to see you!" Yohio whined but then burst out into laughter. Their parents couldn't suppress a few snickers, but Oliver pouted at the poor imitation of his behavior whenever he and Fukase didn't see each other for a while. As if eavesdropping wasn't bad enough, the blond found himself being embarrassed by his entire family once again.