Uncanny Believes

Fukase and Oliver have been struggling the past hour in the kitchen. The two weren't the best cooks, but they decided to spend their vacation not only by relaxing outside of the city for once but to improve on skills they dearly needed as well. There was a lot of fun to it, but it was not only the two of them in the house and their stomachs were protesting ever so loudly while the already finished food was slowly getting cold.

Oliver watched the catastrophe of Fukase stirring the sauce in a too hot pan in amusement, but then left with a peck on the cheek. Setting the table was one of the last things left to do before they could finally have dinner. However, an unexpected sight startled the blond as he found the third family member to be climbing around on the couch.

"You're still here? You haven't moved since we came back home earlier," Oliver sighed and reached for the plates in the cupboard. His displeased tone clashed with just as much of an irritated sigh.

"I don't like it here."

"Why? Are there not other kids around here?"

"There are. But I hate the landlord. She's a tick," the boy grunted and rolled over back on the couch again. With sudden silence and no further movements, it was obvious he pretended to not be there anymore and get to escape the situation that way.

Fukase walked out of the kitchen just in time and the couple exchanged glances but didn't comment on the bold statement. Instead, they focused on finishing dinner before it could run any colder. After their hiking tour further into the mountains, there were three starving stomachs waiting for an energy refill.

However, much to the parents' inconvenience, the boy did come to the table but turned up his nose at the food. Oliver scolded him with a glare. He was about to fill up the child's plate first as sudden complaints and grumbling resonated across the room. Oliver's arm froze, startled by further protest.

"It's alright. I'm not hungry."

"What do you mean you're not hungry? You haven't eaten all day. You ditched breakfast already either, didn't you?" Oliver raised his voice but hit a stone wall. The boy pouted and looked away, swaying in discontent.

"I don't trust the food here."

He crossed his arms, looking at the meal in dread. Fukase could tell that the boy was hungry but stopped himself out of protest. He hoped that there would be no stomach growl now or the child would end up only more flustered.

"I'm telling you. I've seen her roam around the kitchen and grate rowan berries into the food. She knew you were going to make red sauce."

"Then why can I eat it?" Oliver shoved a spoonful in his mouth to undermine his statement.

"Because she's not trying to get rid of you. She wants to hurt only me."

"Did she tell you that?" 

The boy stared at his empty plate with a deep frown and nodded. Fukase waited for the faint creases on the child's forehead to disappear. "What did she tell you?"

The boy remained quiet and bit his lip. His crossed arms signaled that he was persisting on his conclusions for now.

"Well, if you can't tell us then it can't be that bad. Eat up or you won't get anything else for today. I'll check your room for sweets either," Oliver said with such a stern tone that it almost startled his partner. Fukase looked at the blond silently, both surprised and concerned to see him this strict. Two defiant minds clashed onto another and emitted seething fumes over the dining table. As long as no closing remark would seal the subconscious riot, there would not be a peacefully tense dinner for long. Fukase was the spectator in this scene, but he had no words left for it.