dix-huit ✓

Dix-huit: Phoebe, James and dying breaths

Rare View Hotel| LA

It was the next day and Sekhani had never felt more anxious in his life. He wanted nothing more than to go home, eat pancakes with Phoebe, watch Disney movies with his parents and kiss Edward.

The boy's phone rang and startled him out of his daydream. Phoebe's name was flashing across the screen and Sekhani grinned as he slid his nimble finger across his phone.

"I was just thinking about yo-"

"Sekhani!" Phoebe's voice was low and hoarse as if her throat was sore.

"Phe? Phe, what is it?" The boy was sitting up on his bed now, suddenly alert, all traces of sleep gone.

"Sorry sweetheart, she's busy." Sekhani recognised the voice of the blonde vampire instantly.

He curled his free hand into a fist and spoke through clenched teeth. "What did you do to her?"

"A little push here, a little stab there, a little slapping here and there. She's fine really, overdramatic little thing." James' voice was casual, as if he was talking about the weather and it made Sekhani's blood boil.

"Why are you doing this?" Sekhani could hear Phoebe heavily crying in the background as she talked to her kidnapper.

"Your friend isn't giving me what I want sweetheart. And didn't I tell you to shut up?" James rolled his red eyes at the pesky human girl he had the displeasure of dealing with.

"I'll give you whatever you want just please, leave her alone." Sekhani pleaded, on the verge of ripping his hair out.

"Ah, that's more like it. Remember your old art class here in LA?" James smiled in excitement. He felt like a spoiled child who had just gotten their way.

The big blue building with the words,'Your creativity is your safe space' scrawled on the front flashed through Sekhani's mind. "Yes, yes I remember."

"Great. I need you to get here, alone. If I catch even a wisp of a vampire scent, I'll have your friend for lunch." James' tone was dark, a promise clear in his words.

"Sekhani, no! He'll kill yo-"

And the call disconnected.

Sekhani stared at the phone in shock for a few moments before he was scrambling off the couch and grabbing a pen and a paper and scrawling a letter in haste.

Edward,

What I'm about to do is probably the most idiotic thing I've ever done but I have no choice. Phoebe has been there for me through everything and I was so caught up that I forgot that she needed protecting too. James took her and it's all my fault. I have to do what's right by her and go to her. James will kill me, I'm sure of it. But if it means that no harm would come to Phoebe, I would do it again in a heartbeat.