Chapter 8

3months ago.....

Ara could remember vividly the second to the last ushering she went for. Their coordinator was so specific and scrutinized them all before selecting some of them for the occasion. She made mention she was doing it that way because where they were going, she needed beautiful and tall ladies. And not just beautiful alone, but ladies with nice stature and the ones that were eloquent in speaking.

Almost everyone working for her sounded really good to the extent some even had to train themselves because they knew she gets good jobs that paid really well. She was known to deliver the best girls who offered the best. This time around, their boss had to be specific and asked if anyone of them could speak other languages apart from English and Yoruba. She went ahead asking if they could speak Hausa, French, Spanish, Italian, German and many other languages that they all started laughing, thinking she was actually joking, but turned out she wasn't.

They would go for about two, three days at times and get close to seventy thousand or more than that mostly. Working with her was good. Ara eventually got selected. She didn't even tell their boss she could speak French because she was always ashamed of speaking it. Whenever she tried to speak in French and some people realize she could speak, they always make her feel like she was proud or somehow make them feel inferior.

The last time she talked to her mom about her education, confessing she would like to study French in UI (University of Ibadan). Her mom taught she was speaking gibberish, asking her what happen to other courses like nursing, medicine and telling her she better had a change of mind if she wanted both her and her Dad to send Ara to school which they were yet to conclude when.

When Ara realized her mom was against it, she could not even open her mouth to tell them she wished on becoming a Translator by working for a company, or a flight attendant. Whenever she watch or listen to certain set of big people speak in other languages, she wished and dreamed of becoming an expert in one. Ara couldn't get the means of going to the university immediately, so she heard being a flight attendant sometimes, you don't need a degree but the training is very important. She decided to go for one, only for her dream to crash again when she was told the training cost about four hundred thousand naira.

She wanted to collapse. She was like... Ordinary flight attendant!

That day, she knew nothing comes easy in life. Is either you pay the price, or accept anything that comes to you. Is just like going to the market to buy a certain thing you love but unable to pay the price, then someone comes and give you a rotten one. Just always remember you have a choice. After that day, Ara landed a job with a popular ushering agency. The moment they saw her. Her intonation, her vocabularies, her physical looks and her attractiveness, her stature and her smile landed her the job with ease.

After she got selected, their boss told them they were ushering for Kings, chiefs and important guests that would be coming to Nigeria for a meeting. They were to spend two days and that was the first time she slept in the popular and most expensive hotel in Nigeria. Five star hotel.

••••••

Ara walked out of her room she was staying in five star hotel immediately her boss called her to bring the dresses they were wearing the next day to be ironed. Ara was like her right hand. She carried the heavy red bag walking very fast, knowing if she got there late, her boss was going to get angry. Her phone rang again and she sighed, hoping one day, her boss was going to be gifted from heaven the gift of being patient and understanding.