Chapter 11

(Shuichi's POV)

I gasped as I woke up, drenched in sweat. I was panting and I could feel my heart beating rapidly. I sighed as I steadied my breathing and put my hand to my chest, willing my heart to calm down.

"I-it's okay... it's over..." I whispered to myself, feeling miserable for waking up like this every morning. It was terrible of me to lie to (Y/N) when I told her I didn't have nightmares and flashbacks anymore, but I didn't want her to think I was weak. I also wanted to believe I'd dealt with the trauma, even if that was just a lie. Maybe this is how I learned to understand Kokichi...

I sighed as I got up, the time barely even being 3 AM but I couldn't risk waking up in a panicked state and having (Y/N) see. I was terribly sleep deprived after doing this for a little over a week and I knew it was unhealthy and dangerous, but unless I wanted (Y/N) to know I lied this was the only option.

In the low moonlight I grabbed some clothes from my wardrobe to go take a shower. I settled on a T-shirt that had a magnifying glass printed on the front and some grey pants. Since it was a little chilly I also grabbed my old jacket from the killing game. It had the added benefit of making me feel trapped in the game once again, just because I knew if I wasn't over it that I deserved to suffer at least a little bit for being so weak.

I walked to the boy's bathroom, going to the showers in the completely silent room. At least showering at 3 AM meant nobody else was here so I didn't have to deal with other people for a while. I walked into 'my' showering room and put my things on the shelf, except for my shampoo which I brought with me into the shower. I turned on the water and waited for it to warm up before before showering, my dull, tiring morning routine just getting started. I was barely awake from being so sleep deprived even after my shower, which usually woke me up. I knew I was near my end.

"Don't fall asleep in class..." I barely whispered to myself, it being more of a threat than a promise. I sighed once I finished getting dressed and combing my hair, walking back to my dorm. I decided to look out the window for a couple of minutes first and I was shocked to see lights on in the greenhouse not that far from the dorms. The glass was stained so it was hard to see inside but sunlight still got in perfectly fine, but I could still just make out a figure behind the glass.

They were bent down like they were inspecting something, but as I watched their hands I realized they were planting something. I knew the greenhouses had an odd design where around the edges, it was possible to plant things into the ground. But who was planting stuff at 3 AM and why?

I decided that tomorrow I'd see if they were there again and until then not do anything about it, returning to my dorm. I was surprised when I saw (Y/N) sitting up in her bed, awake.

"Where the hell were you...?" (Y/N) demanded tiredly.

"Sorry! I was showering..." I held up my dirty clothes and showering items as proof.

"At three in the morning? Is this a daily thing?" (Y/N) groaned.

"Y-yeah..." I admitted.

"Well no wonder you're always so tired! You should let yourself sleep more!" (Y/N) scolded.

"I-I'm fine, really," I protested.

"I know you're not. Last night weren't you just complaining about how tired you were? And I'm pretty sure you know how bad it is to not get eight hours of sleep..." (Y/N) warned.

"Look, there's a reason for it..." I sighed.

"And what's that reason? And don't say something bullshit like a class at 4 AM or something, the earliest class is at 6:30 AM and we all know that," (Y/N) glared at me.