Chapter 19

(Your POV)

You sighed, "My first real weekend here is already over... ughh, Monday was a drag..."

You made yourself get peppier as you remembered you got to work today since it was Monday, and chuckled, "I guess maybe Monday isn't all bad... wait, isn't liking Monday illegal or something?"

You shrugged to yourself as you walked into the station, going up to the second floor and into the lab. You weren't expecting to see the chaos.

"(Y/N), there's been a missing person report! Didn't you hear?!" Cody exclaimed.

"U-um, what?" You blinked.

"Charles Rostock, your friend? Henry says he's not responding to any texts or calls, we can't locate his phone, and nobody knows where he is!" Cody gasped.

"Charles is missing?!" You almost screamed.

"The only lead we have is he was last seen in his homeroom with you and Shuichi..." Cody sighed, "I don't suppose you saw him afterwards?"

"No, I had another class right after homeroom and then I had to almost race to get here," You shook your head.

"I asked Shuichi and he said he was in his dorm doing his math homework," Cody explained.

"Ah... then he's just gone and disappeared? That's really weird," You thought aloud.

"Yeah. We're doing our best here in the lab to try and find where he might've gone. We swabbed common items like doors and chairs to see if we could find a trace of him at any of his classes. Come on, help us 'cuz there's a lot of samples!" Cody motioned to you, and you followed.

He handed you a large box of swab samples, "These are all from a couple of different rooms, they're color coded for you."

With that he left and returned to his lab work. You immediately got to work on the samples, figuring out what he meant by color code. If the label was green it was from his biology class, if it was blue it was from his chemistry class. You chose to test the biology swabs first because you figured as the Ultimate Biologist he'd be more likely to head there.

You started testing the samples but found them negative or very old, which sort of surprised you. You were starting to get worried now that the full gravity of the situation hit you, but you forced yourself to stay calm and keep testing the samples because that could possibly help in the effort of getting him found.

You were questioning why the first thing they'd do is swab places he'd be likely to go when he hadn't even been missing for very long, until you reminded yourself that he was a consultant for the force, he was an Ultimate, this place wasn't known for crime, and you'd read that most people not recovered within the first 24 hours were usually dead when found. You weren't sure how true that last part was but you figured it probably had some truth in it.

Sample after sample was tested until you'd finally tested every one for his biology classroom, and there were no leads except that wasn't a place to look for clues. You sighed, feeling disheartened before forcing yourself to start checking the chemistry room samples, expecting the same negative results. You did the doorknob samples first, but you were surprised when you got a hit. Charles had been there recently!

You began testing more samples and found more hits, using a copy of a rough sketch of the room to mark a path of where traces of him were found to see that it looked like he'd walked to somewhere in the middle of the lab, but you unfortunately didn't have enough samples to tell you where exactly.

"I found a clue!" You announced, and many heads turned before suddenly a crowd gathered around you as all your co-workers looked at the results you'd found.