Chapter 27

You couldn't help but let the happy memories play in your mind. Maybe at the time they weren't exactly happy or the happiest, but it was better than the situation you were in now. You wished you could worry about these moments being your worst instead of your happiest.

You walked into your homeroom to see Shuichi was already at your table, but nobody else was. You sat down next to him, and he smiled a little.

"Hey (Y/N)," Shuichi greeted, and you smiled back.

"Hey Shuichi. How are you holding up?" You asked.

"I'm fine," Shuichi gave the same answer as he always did.

"Haah... hey everyone..." Charles greeted tiredly, plopping himself down in his seat. There were bags under his eyes and his eyes were bloodshot to indicate a critical lack of sleep.

"Woah, what happened to you?" You blinked in surprise at the normally energetic male's disheveled appearance.

"I was up aaaalllll night last night~" Charles still didn't fail to make his comment sound suggestive.

"What were you doing...?" Shuichi looked like he was scared to know but asked anyways.

"Masturbating in the lonely corner... how sad," Charles hung his head like he was ashamed before lifting it back up and giving a tired smile.

Henry walked into the room carrying earplugs, "Learn how. To shut. The hell. Up," he glared at Charles.

"No fair! You know I can't just not moan!" Charles pouted.

"Can someone please tell me why I was so unlucky to be your roommate..." Henry groaned.

"It's a father/son bonding experience!" Charles declared.

"I did not sign up for this-" Henry scooted away from Charles in his seat.

"Charles... Henry..." You quielty mumbled, a feeling of grief washing over you. Charles, Simon, and Henry had their funerals together since they were family and that's how Shaun wanted it organized. Shuichi had been in the facility so he couldn't stop you from going.

You remembered how much Shaun had cried at the funeral and just how... heartbroken he was.

"Not even a whole week and I lose three of my family just like that... th-the only person I have left is Ingrid..." Shaun sobbed.

"Even if it's just one, at least you have someone, right?" You tried to comfort the weeping boy.

"I'm glad she's not dead but... m-more of my family is dead than alive... but I can't just leave her here..." Shaun whispered the last part, and that's when you realized what he was contemplating.

"Don't kill yourself, Shaun! I don't care if there's more people dead than alive, a single person is enough to make it more important to be here. She's your daughter, right? She needs her dad more than anything now, I bet..." You tried to give him a pep talk.

Shaun never responded to you.

That was the last time you ever saw or heard from him, and you hoped he was doing okay. You didn't know him very well but after everything that had happened, you weren't sure if you could ever handle any more death or tragedy. You really weren't as strong as Shuichi, who had to watch his friends die one after the other and he still kept going.

You sighed, forcing yourself to remember a more positive memory. You at least wanted to remember the good times instead of the bad times, because this existence was living hell. You had to have somewhere happy to go, even if it was only in your memories.

"Well... I guess that means it's just us," You looked over to Shuichi.

"Yep..." Shuichi seemed to be thinking deeply.

"What are you thinking about?" You asked.

"Oh, i-it's nothing," Shuichi promised, though you could tell it was a lie.

"Doesn't sound like nothing! C'mon, tell meeeee," You pouted childishly.

"R-really, it's nothing!" Shuichi repeated himself.

"Pleaaaaaseeee tell meee?" You spoke in a higher pitch voice.

"...No," Shuichi sighed.

"Ah, so there IS something!! Tell me tell me tell me!" You demanded.

"I'm not telling you!" Shuichi slightly panicked, a small blush visible on his cheeks.

"Ohhh, you're blushing!! Do you have a crush on someoneeeee~?" You teased.

"N-no!" Shuichi blushed even more, giving away his obvious lie.

"Hehehe... who is iiiit~?" You giggled childishly, enjoying the power of being able to tease the shy boy. You kind of secretly hoped he had a crush on Simon because you thought they'd be a really fluffy and cute couple. Plus, a detective and a lawyer dating sounded pretty unstoppable and badass.

"I-I don't have a crush on anyone!" Shuichi protested weakly.

"Haha... I'll spare you for now but I'll figure out who it is eventually," You giggled.

You did eventually find out that it was you.

"Huh? What's wrong?" You asked.

"S-sorry, I-I'm just... n-nevermind," Shuichi shook his head.

"Tell me what it is," You demanded.

"...C-can I k-kiss you...?" Shuichi blushed darkly.

"W-wait, like on the cheek or on the lips...?" You trailed off.

"...O-on the lips..." Shuichi admitted quietly and awkwardly.

"O-oh, um... I-I don't know, I-I guess...?" You stammered, not sure how else to react.

Shuichi seemed really nervous before slowly leaning in and shyly kissing you on the lips, but he quickly pulled away, his face practically burning dark red. You were frozen for a second before you suddenly kissed Shuichi on the lips, bringing your hand up to the back of his head so he couldn't pull away. He jumped before settling into it and kissing back, gently pulling you closer. It was a slow, sweet kiss that lasted a while before you pulled away, blushing and panting a little. Shuichi was a blushing mess.

"D-does that m-mean you...?" Shuichi trailed off, and you shyly nodded, "Th-then... does that mean we're...?"

"I-if you want to," You shyly fiddled with your hands, feeling nervousness and anxiety crawl inside you.

"I'd like that..." Shuichi mumbled.

"Then... I guess that means we're a thing..." You quietly concluded.

You sighed. Back then Shuichi had been so kind, so normal... why had he changed? Why was the man you fell for no longer there? Now he was so jealous, toxic... he barely held any more roots of the shy detective he'd once been.

What happened to Shuichi...?

And why did he have to drag you down with him...?

~~~
Word count: 1072

Sorry for such a short chapter! But things will happen next chapter~

Bad things...