Varsity Blues // Part Three

The bleachers were packed as I held a blanket tightly in my hands while trying to navigate to sit next to Jughead

The bleachers were packed as I held a blanket tightly in my hands while trying to navigate to sit next to Jughead. "Excuse me, are you lost?" I joked as I plopped next to him, Kevin, and Mrs. Andrews. The cold metal of the benches made my ass cold instantly and I suddenly regretted not packing a heavier jacket. "Shouldn't you be on the Stonewall side, with all the Yalies?" I continued as I unfolded the blanket across both of our laps and snuggled into his side.

"Uh, I don't think Yale is gonna happen anymore," Jug commented as he wrapped an arm around my shoulder and kissed my head. "How'd it go with Honey?"

"Well, as you can see, the game's still happening, so... we tried," I huffed as I watched the cheerleaders and football team take to the field. Reggie had yet to run out, instead of leaning over the bleachers to speak to my sister before hopping the railing to run with his teammates.

Betty Cooper situated herself next to me, handing over a warm hot chocolate to which I offered an appreciative smile. The cheer team started to lead the crowd in chants as the football team worked on warming up.

Once the game started, it was clear that Stonewall was playing absolutely brutal with zero repercussions. The Bulldogs were attempting to hold their ground, down 6-7 but it was clear something had changed with Munroe overnight. The star player was working his ass off with no inclination of any injury whatsoever, which I thought was odd.

The refs weren't even bothering to call any fouls or throw flags, and at the end of the game, Stonewall was chanting in victory, which we all saw coming. I let out a huff at the loss, but we had another attempt to take Stonewall down and I was determined to do so. Bret was not about to be successful in cheating with Riverdale High.

I followed Jughead's leading hand down the bleacher stairs before we made it to the main landing. I glanced over my shoulder at the sound of someone calling my name only to see Bret running across the track to catch up to us.

"Hey! Savanna!" Jughead let out a loud groan before stopping a few steps ahead of me as I turned to the Preppy next to me. "I heard your article got killed," Bret continued.

"Just take the win, Bret," Jughead advised as he refused to look at his classmate.

"That's exactly what we did today, Jones," Bret responded, "We took the win."

I gave him a sly smile. "Well, actually, Bret, my article wasn't killed. I only just started digging so who knows what else I'll find along the way, hmm?"

Bret clearly wasn't phased by my comment as he smiled brightly for a moment before facing Jughead. "See you in class, Forsythe. And, Savanna, let's do this again! I really like winning against you."

I let him run away without further comment before looking at my awaiting boyfriend. "He won't be saying that for long, trust me."

--

Before the week started up again, I found myself sitting in Mr. Honey's office once again, this time hopefully with the article he dreamed of.

"I'm very pleased you came around, Savanna," Honey complimented after he finished the revised piece. Betty wasn't able to join me this morning, but I already had her on board with the quiz team, so she wasn't missing much. "This is a stellar article. It's great press for our school. Even though we lost the game."

"We may have lost the game, but we haven't lost completely, Mr. Honey," I informed him. "I've been doing more and more research on Stonewall Prep, and did you know that they have a world-class quiz team? And the captain of that team is none other than athlete, scholar, scumbag Bret Weston Wallis?"

Honey nodded slightly. "Yes, but that championship is only a few weeks away, and Riverdale doesn't even... have a team. Miss Marrows, are you volunteering? Because I would love to get my hands on at least one trophy this year."

"Principal Honey, at this point in time, I would love nothing more than to give Stonewall Prep a royal ass-kicking."

He let out a sharp breath but I could see the smile forming on his face. "Then you have my full support, Captain."

--

One Month Later

Jughead's dorm was dark and cold compared to the typical warm and homey I was used to. The lights were off, save for the two small ones against the wall and the box in my hands seemed heavier than the objects inside. My chest was tight at the image in front of me, but I knew I needed to get this over with and push myself to keep going.

"Oh, save your tears, Savanna." Bret's harsh voice came from the doorway. "You act like you ever wanted him to succeed and be more than just your silly little boyfriend. You got your wish, princess. Forsythe isn't going to Yale. In fact, he's never leaving Riverdale. How's that sound to you?"

--

early short chapter before we start kicking this drama up woo