thirteen

Elle McBriar
July 22nd, 4 months and 10 days after the first zombie report

My ears were ringing. My nose was filled with fire and my lungs were stained with the black smoke, coating my insides. I struggled to breath, hearing the sound of a baby cry.

At least I'm not deaf. I can barely hear. My vision is foggy, I see double of everything. Am I about to pass out? I feel a hand grab my shoulder and I spin around, seeing Alex shouting at me, Paxton and Gage aren't far behind.

The way his hands are shaking on my body, and the fear in his eyes tells me this is not normal. That we're not okay, "W-what was that? What's happening?" I scream, feeling my eardrums finally return to normal.

"We don't know but we're going to check it out." Alex said.
"Like hell you are! You could die, Alex. You are not leaving me here!" I cried, sheltering Riley's body. "Sorry Princess, we have to check it out. It could've been a nuclear explosion, or maybe you're right, there are other humans." Paxton yelled.

Gage exited the house carrying three big guns. The boys strapped them around their bodies, clipping them into place.

"We just had an Earthquake, a fire and a freaking explosion all in the span of a Goddamn minute. A whole 60 fucking seconds Alex, if you go in there, there could be another explosion, and swear to God, I cannot lose you, neither can Riley." I warned, glaring at his conflicted features.

"Stop brainwashing him, Al, let's go!" Paxton screamed, revving the engine.
"Alex stop don't-"
"We'll be back soon. I promise, we're not going anywhere."

Alex looked between me and Paxton, kissing Riley's forehead, "Alex I swear to God-"
"I'm sorry."

He jumped in the van and they drove off. Leaving me alone, standing outside with a giant fire roaring around the sky, while a rain storm threatens to flood. I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

We survived a zombie apocalypse, we can survive a rain storm, fire, Earthquake and nuclear explosion. Simple. It's easy!

* * * 

It's not easy. 

I'm going insane. The boys haven't radioed to tell me if they're okay. I haven't heard a second explosion, which is promising. But there's been a few after shocks. Riley won't stop crying. I'm warming up formula for him, it'll be the first time I feed a baby with a bottle.

I'm holding the nib of the bottle to his lips, his little hands wrapping around the baby-made handles. He sucks on it quietly, his tears stopping. I'm holding him tight, sitting on the floor in the corner of my bedroom. 

I can feel the tears in the backs of my eyes, threatening to fall. I try to blink them away. But the stinging feeling is still there.

I look down at Riley, his eyes drooping as he begins to fall asleep. Rocking him back and forth, the bottle is dropped between my legs, his tiny body dead still as his chest rises and falls, showing he's asleep.

I stay on the ground, I don't know how long for but I'm still on the ground when I hear the sound of footsteps outside. Maybe it's the boys?

I couldn't be more wrong.

Peering out my bedroom window, my eyes shake in fear. Standing outside our house, covered in mud and rain, is about a dozen zombies, more emerging from the bushes as I speak.

Holy fuck, what do I do? I close the curtains, keeping the room dark and quiet. I open the closet in my room, which is shoved full of weapons and my clothes. Putting Riley in his baby carrier, I place him in the closet.