sixty three

Elle McBriar
September 1st, 6 months and 51 days after the first zombie report

I was by myself, alone. Paxton and I got separated after he let go of my hand.

I was hiding behind an old car, catching my breath. I couldn't hear anything and the radio wasn't picking up anything aside from static.

"Hello?" I screamed, my voice echoed through the dessert.

I wanted to scream. I can't believe after everything, were back to this! We were going so good too.

I felt tears bead in my eyes but I blinked them away. I need to be strong right now.

My radio beeped and I moved so quickly to pick it up, "Red l-line 67, wh-what's your l-location?"

Before I could respond, an explosion erupted in the air. Shrapnel hit the metal, piercing everything it touched.

A fire burned brightly in the sky as more tiny explosions exploded against it. My eyes widened as a cloud of fire and smoke barrelled towards me.

I was thrown forward, my face and body hitting the hard ground.

When I lifted my head up, I couldn't hear anything. It was like I was moving in slow motion. I tasted dirt and blood.

Looking around, I heard nothing. I saw nothing. I tried to move, hissing in pain as a hot, sharp pain poked my back.

I looked down at my body. I'm covered in sand, blood, sweat and dirt.

I tired to lift myself up, agonisingly slowly as I managed to stand on my own two feet.

My head hurt. I'm dizzy and hot, but I need to find my friends.

I can barely hear my own voice and I doubt anyone else could.

Even though I was far away from where the bunker was, I'm still defeated by the shrill sound.

I called out to them, hearing nor seeing nothing in return.

I limped slowly, the sand and fog not cleaning up.

What the hell do I do now?

The smoke was still pumping out thick clouds into the sky as the fog and sand storm worsened.

It was beginning to rain, which I'm grateful for.

I'm leaning against the car I was hiding behind before, struggling to breath. Every time I move it feels like the piece of shrapnel in me is moving closer to my internal organs. Which is... not good.

I tried calling out again, thankfully my ears are adjusting. I tried radioing but I heard nothing. This time I let myself cry.

I ripped off my mask and gloves, inhaling fresh air. Who knows if the air is still full of radiation. Nothing has happened yet so I guess I'll know sooner or later.

I screamed until my throat hurt but nobody replied back to me. I wondered where we actually were.

Since it was raining, the sand and fog was clearing and the landscape was becoming a bigger picture.

It was still a dessert, but were in America! Thank God! I'm not sure where, but we're in the USA because there's an American flag hanging on a flagpole, which is on fire.

I couldn't see anybody or any bodies on the ground which relaxed me a bit. But I did see hills or sand.

Anything or anyone could've been thrown over those sand hills. I want to go check, see if anybody is alive and save them but I can't move!

I looked up at the sky, clasping my hands together.

"I know it's been a while..." I inhaled a raspy breath, "But if this is how I die, please save Paxton. Please, I love him and I need him to know that."

Cold raindrops hit my face and cheeks as the storm pelted down, grey clouds shrouding the sky.

"Please God, this is all I ask. Amen!"

* * *

After a while of pure suffering, I realised I couldn't move.

I must've been hit with something. Shrapnel or some other sharp object. I know I have to get it out but I can't reach my back.

I'm too tired. I feel my eyes closing and I let myself sleep.

Although, it didn't come. I was being poked, prodded. I peeled my sore eyes open, looking above me to see a blurry figure.

My body aches, "Who is it?" I mumble, screaming as they try to move. The voices were faint, jumbled. What the hell is happening to me?

I passed out in the persons arms as they moved me. The pain became unbearable.

When I woke again, I was staring up at the dark sky. I tried to sit up, but I was yelled at, "DONT MOVE!" Someone said.

I laid back down again, craning my neck to look around me. I was in a tent. A green tent with a flap in the top to let air in.

A rusty metal table was sitting against the tent wall, along with bruised and bloodied people laying on mattress's.

"What the hell? Where am I? What happened?" I mumbled incoherently. I don't remember anything after the explosion.

"Stay still Elle. If you move, the shrapnel could kill you." Someone said urgently. I stayed completely still, eyes wide as I feared for my life.

"W-what happened?" I asked, "The explosion?" The person said.

My head was facing the other way as I squeezed my eyes shut, "You we're hit with shrapnel, it's lodged in your back. I was kind of hoping you'd stay asleep a little longer." They mumbled the last part under their breath.

"Where are my friends? Wh-where are they?" I panicked.

"Your friends are in the other tent. They're... fine."

That didn't sound reassuring at all! My hands trembled, "I need-" "Shh, calm down Elle."

I felt a small pin prick in my side and felt myself dosing off slowly.

The darkness overwhelmed me.
After all that we've over come and built, we're back to square one.

Radiation, explosions... I thought it all stopped.

Is this our life now?

In my dreams, I dreamt of happy worlds. My parents, my brother, Paxton and I are happy! There's sun and ice cream and everything is perfect!

Until it's not.

And we're doing this all over again.

* * *

hii

how are you?? did you like this chapter?