fifty eight

Elle McBriar
August 12th, 6 months and 33 days since the last zombie report

It'd been about 10 minutes neither Paxton or Elaine bad come back yet. I was getting antsy.

Mainly because my extremely handsome man friend who I'm casually fucking is having a chat with a very beautiful women who invited us into her safe house.

Deciding to ignore it, I headed to the library. I saw a really good book the other day that I want to read.

"Hi Sophia." I smiled, "Hi dear."

I placed myself between two shelving units and sat on a comfy chair, opening the book.

'How to Save The World'

I thought it was quite fitting.

Halfway through, I heard footsteps and turned around, seeing Alex come in. He looked worried, "Alex? You okay?" I asked, "Yeah uh- it's Riley."

I dropped the book and ran to Alex's room where Riley was laying on the bed crying
His face was red and he looked like he was breaking out in hives or something.

His little hands were beginning to turn blue.

"What the hell?" I cried, picking up Riley in my arms. Alex started to cry, "Hey. There's doctors here, come on."

* * *

"HELP. SOMEONE HELP!" Alex screamed, "DOC!"

A doctor came out, I can't remember her name but she took Riley from me, and rushed us into a room, "What happened?" She asked, putting his tiny body on a bed, "After lunch he just started crying and then turning red I- I don't know." Alex mumbled.

"Okay. We'll do a scan. You need to leave the room so we can work, please." "What? N-no. He's my brother." Alex said panicked, "Alex, come on."

I led his shoulders to the wall. He slid down it and out his head in his hands, "It's okay. It'll be okay, he'll be fine."

"How do you know that? He's a baby Elle. He can't fucking speak." Alex yelled, tears in his eyes. I hugged him tightly, "Because he's a fighter. Like his big brother."

Alex sobbed under my arms as we sat on the cold floor, waiting for results. Beeping was heard and muffled talking, but no one had come out.

Gage rushed over after he heard and told us he'd go find Paxton and Elaine.

I mentally cursed him for finding Elaine but I guess if it's something serious, she'd have to know.

After an hour or so and nothing was said, I began to panic. "What if-" Alex paused, "What if it's something serious. Like, what if he's been exposed to the radiation or something like that." Alex snuffed, "We can't think like that Alex. This bunker is air-right. We're safe." I said, reassuring myself and him.

He nodded, "I know. But what if-" "No buts and no what ifs. He'll be okay Alex I promise." I whispered.

Leaning my head on his shoulder, I closed my eyes.

"Hey. What the hell happened?" Paxton said, kneeling in front of us.

Elaine whizzed past, rushing through the doors, "Riley just started crying and breaking out in some rash I- I don't know." Alex said. Paxton patted his back and noogied his hair, sitting next to me.