seventy five

Elle McBriar
September 9th, 6 months and 59 days since the first zombie report

I was walking alone, hand in hand with Paxton. We were admiring the view of the houses and also discouraging the smell of zombie flesh...

"So. The big 20 soon huh." I smiled, thinking about Paxton's birthday. He sucked in a breath, "Yep. It means nothing now but- it's still cool, I guess."

I chuckled, "It's a milestone. You made it to 20. That's impressive." Paxton laughed, "I'm like, 3 years older than you, isn't that weird?"

I shrugged my shoulders, "My parents were 6 years apart. It's not weird. And even if it was- no ones here to tell us off."

"This is true. No parents, no rules..."

I giggled when Paxton's hand squeezed my ass, "No glaring eyes from random people on the street."

He attempted to pick me up by my knees but I told him no, "Our friends are still here, and I don't think they'd like to see us eye fucking in the middle of the street."

Paxton rolled his eyes, "Tease."

We continued walking for a bit until we reached the inner city, where we were more than likely to find some sort of transportation.

The city was quiet, almost too quiet. But we kept walking, our shoes scuffing against the pavement, kicking rocks.

"Ya'll know how to hit wire a car right?"
"Well it's not rocket science."

The boys were arguing about the quality of the cars. Talking about the paint job, exterior, brakes, all that man stuff.

"Boys, can you just see if they're driveable please?" Megan tapped her foot.

"Okay it's sorted. Alex and Megan will take the grey car, me and Penny will take the red one and Paxton and Elle can take the black one." Gage ordered, nodding to the cars lined up the street.

We made our way to the black one. A few dents and scratches, but it's in perfect condition.

I checked the boot. A few receipts, grocery bags and an umbrella.

"Boots empty." I call back, "Glovebox is too. Everything's fine."

Paxton slipped into the drivers seat, connecting two wires as the engine roared to life.

"Listen to that, isn't she beautiful." Paxton smirked, rubbing his hands along the steering wheel, "It's a car, Pax."

Gage knocked on the window, "Where's our first destination? Everyone's hungry so I'm thinking we find a grocery store first."

I shrugged, "Sure, why not."

* * *

Soon enough, we were on our way.

We got food. Packaged stuff, no perishables, stuff like that. A little bit of baby formula as well as some new socks.

Who knew socks would play such an important role in keeping your feet safe.

Luck seemed to be on our side today. It wasn't too cold nor was it too hot. The weather was perfect for driving.

We had gas, food and something to do.

The sun was going behind the clouds every so often but it came out again.

Today feels like it could be a nice one.

Although, it seems to be going quickly. After our nap and us scrounging for food, it was nearly 1pm.

So we drove quickly. We had no destination for now, just until we see the next sign welcoming us.

We've had no threats or anything seeming suspicious, so I'm relaxing.

I have a blanket over my body as my head is leaning against the seat. I'm looking out the window, watching the clouds whizz by.

The highway is... peaceful. I watch trees flash by my eyes, long roads and ruble.

In a way it is beautiful.

Find something beautiful in which is broken. I've always loved that quote, and now I have a purpose for it.

Paxton was driving. I promise I'd drive next time but right now, I can't be bothered.

"Do you think we'll be okay?" I hear myself asking. I don't hear a reply, but my body is stiff, thinking and thinking.

"I can't promise anything but I hope so. After everything we've been through, we deserve a break. A chance at a good life."

I agreed with him whole-heartedly. But something tells me that dream will be short lived.

I was brainstorming in my head, how were gonna do this. We have another shot to live, for a little while.

What do we do? Do we find a big house, install lights and electricity and live in it?
Do we live lavish for a short while?

Or do we play it safe. Keep a small, modest house. With power and lay low. No fire, no noise, no nothing.

I'm conflicted. I want so badly to live in a large house where we can all stay, but I want us to stay alive.

"What's on your mind?" Paxton's voice broke me out of my thoughts, "Nothing really. Just thinking about the future."

He smiled, "That's what Penny said you told her." "Because I did. Im focused on getting us out of here."

Paxton was blabbering in about how the future is tomorrow and we should focus on us, right now.

"The future is a couple hours from now. It's midnight, it's 2 o'clock. Everytime we talk, it's the present, our conversations we've had are the past. This is the future."

Paxton shook his head, "That's not what I mean Elle. I mean, you're working yourself up over minor things. You don't always have to help everyone, you know that right?"

I nodded my head, "I just feel like it's my responsibility, that's all."

"Who knows. Maybe if we ever get the human population up and running, you'll become president."

I snorted, "Yeah right. I can barely look after myself let alone a whole damn country. They'd die within the first day!"

He laughed, "Rules are overrated. We've got the whole world in the palm of our hands. We can do whatever the hell we want. Who's stopping us?"

True that.

"So Paxton, where are we going? Georgia, Colorado, oh what about Wisconsin?"

"Okay farm girl calm down. I was thinking Washington DC. Near New York, but not as obvious. So if Sophias goons ever do come looking, they'll graze right over us."

"I like the way you think, Price."

* * *

hey y'all

how'd you like it??