thirty

Elle McBriar
August 2nd, 4 months and 21 days since the first zombie report

It was around 1am when Paxton and I finally decided to retreat to bed.

Of course, he followed behind me as I entered my room, insisting we have a 'sleepover'. I made him call it sleepovers since 'sleeping together' makes it dirty. He made sure to make fun of my innocence and as I called it 'dirty'.

But we were under the covers. The sheet covering us both as we lay, awake, staring at the ceiling. He was next to me, as still as a rock, as was I. These were regular things, these sleepovers, we should get used to them best we can.

"Who was your first kiss?" Paxton whispered, I wasn't expecting that, "Are we playing 20 questions?" I chuckled quietly, "Sure, why not." He said, "Um his name was Kaden Zamora. I was a sophomore, he was a senior. We never talked again." I laughed, "What about you?" He tapped his chin, "Catelyn Harrison. We were both Freshmen, and she was my first girlfriend for about a month." He laughed at the memory. High school relationships are sad.

"Okay what about the last person you kissed." He said. My frown deepened, the last person I kissed was Alex, about 4 hours ago. But I can't tell him that, "Uh that's a trick one. I was at a party and kissed a total of 11 people that night."

I remember people chanting the 'king of kisses' while drunk because I manged to kiss 11 people and broke the record in Brickwood.

"Shit, party animal are we?" He laughed, "I just know how to have a good time." I said subtly, "But my last kiss was a girl name Hayden." I turned to see his reaction and saw his eyebrows shoot up, "Girl on girl action, my favorite." He waggled his eyebrows and I had to cover my mouth from laughing, "You do not hold back." "No regrets." I calmed myself down, "But last kiss guy wise... Jensen Hamilton. He was a senior in college. And I had just turned 17." 

"When is your birthday?" He asked, "May 15th, why, whens yours?" "September 8th." I smirked, "What's your preferred flavor of chocolate cake?" He laughed softly, "Vanilla. I know it's plain, but to me chocolate is in everything and I get sick of it." I agreed, "Fair enough. I mean personally my favorite is red-velvet cheesecake with lemon, buttercream icing and chocolate drizzle but vanilla works." 

Paxton shook his head, "You don't ask for much, do ya." I giggled, "Not at all. A girl can dream though." 

After our laughter died down and we went off topic about our '20 questions' I began getting sleepy. I yawned, turning onto my side as I pulled the sheet over my waist. Yes it was cold, but it was also summer and it was hot. Especially with a guy and a baby in the same room.

I closed my eyes, hoping to get some shut eye before the baby wakes up.

"Goodnight Elle." Paxton whispered, moving closer to me so his arm was brushing mine, "Goodnight Paxton." I said back, half asleep.

* * * 

I guess it was inevitable to think I could get sleep through the whole night with the baby. He began crying and I groaned, moving to get up. But I felt a hand on my waist, "I got him, you go to sleep." Paxton mumbled, shifting away from me. I missed his warmth already, even though he was just sitting on the edge of the bed. 

I fell back asleep again almost instantly. It feels nice to sleep.

The good feeling didn't last long.

The road was clear and long. I was alone, naked, afraid.

No one for miles, no cars, no people, nothing. Like another universe where everything is gone. I felt shivers run up my spine as it tingled up to my neck, causing me to shake all over.

I heard a noise and turned around. I saw my family, pale like zombies, and Tyler and Jared, standing in front of me. I blinked a few times, hoping to erase them, but then when I opened them, I was standing on the edge of the golden gate bridge. I squeezed my eyes shut so hard I saw little white dots.

But the quietness on the bridge was deafening. I screamed, "JUST SHOOT ME" and that's when I felt a dozen bullets pierce my skin and I fell backwards, my body hitting the ice cold water below me. I scrambled to the surface, swimming with all I could muster but it's not use. It's not working. I let myself sink, opening my eyes to see the 4 months ago, when the apocalypse started.

People running for their lives. Fires spreading, zombies chasing everyone. Earthquakes, the whole lot. I was terrified. I tried to run, but when I couldn't, I looked down and saw that my shoes were glued to the road. 

I prayed for it to be over but it wasn't. I was tackled by a zombie, a bite from them so violent and nasty. I screamed in agony, feeling myself crumble away. Why can't I wake up?

And then I did.

I woke up. In a cold sweat. I was shaking profusely. I sat straight up, rubbing my forehead. I'm just glad I didn't scream. That was the scariest nightmare I've ever had. 

It felt so real. 

A hand touched my arm and I flinched away, before realising it was Paxton. He pulled me back down so my head hit the pillow. His half-asleep figure pulled his fingers through my hair, calming me. He wiped away my tears and rubbed circles on my arms. 

"It was just a nightmare, Elle. They can't hurt you." He mumbled, "But it felt so real." I panicked, my heart rate picking up, "But it's not. Just close your eyes. Trust me." 

I did trust him. So I closed my eyes. And I felt like I was being hugged by the sun. The way Paxton's arm hugged my abdomen. Resting gently on my body as his body fell limp, indicating he was asleep. I began to get sleepy again.

And I thoroughly enjoy sleeping when I don't have bad dreams.

Although I was tired, I was still on high alert. 

I traced Paxton's arms, much like he was doing moments ago. The grooves in his arms, dents in in his shoulder. He was laying on his back, facing the other way. I was trapped under his arm, but I managed to squirm into the position I was in now, breathable. 

I tickled the plains of his abs, eventually resting my arm just above his belly button. Forcing myself to sleep. And it worked for the most part.

* * * 

heyy

i'm sitting here, having a battle with my mind to see if i should write another chapter.

it's literally 2:42am. i probably shouldn't. but i want too. but i can't.

anyway, happppy reading :)